Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tube Friendly Xovers?
Tube Friendly Xovers? [message #40862] Fri, 04 April 2003 18:45 Go to next message
Albee is currently offline  Albee
Esquire
I'm looking at the 2pi and 3pi for a small SET amp. Are the xovers for these speakers an easy load? Which model would be the best overall value for a long-term, keep speaker? Thanks.
Re: Tube Friendly Xovers? [message #40863 is a reply to message #40862] Sat, 05 April 2003 00:09 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What you want is as nearly a purely resistive load as possible. You don't want large changes in impedance, and the highest peak is usually in the bass resonance region. But certain crossover types can cause impedance fluxuations, as you've rightly indicated.

The Studio Series two π tower and Theater Series four π are the most popular speakers for people with tube amps. I really like the cornerhorns, so the seven π is one that I would strongly suggest. While the impedance at resonance of the Professional Series is a little higher than what I generally recommend for SET amps, some of 'em do just fine with these speakers. If your amp is one that isn't terribly sensitive to load, you might enjoy the Professional Series four π or seven π speakers, or better still, the Audiophile Series seven π-18. I'm enjoying a pair of Professional Series π Speakers on a pair of 2 watt SET amps, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Previous Topic: I can't go...
Next Topic: Some Speakers questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 21:49:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout