Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » MAF Seminar
MAF Seminar [message #40793] Tue, 01 April 2003 05:13 Go to next message
Larry Moore is currently offline  Larry Moore
Esquire
Here's the basic run down on my semiar for MAF, entitled "Techniques in Amplifier Design". I will present a complete, start to finish, story and analysis of the 300B mono blocks that I am just finishing. The story will include a complete discussion of the choices and selections made, as well as the why's and where fors. Unlike in the past, the design will be put in the public domain. One may take that to mean that a complete schematic and parts list will be made available to those who attend. Moreover, the monoblocks will be there in the flesh, attendees will be able to see above and below the chassis. The may also take pictures. This will be a complete disclosure.

The amps comprises three stages. The input stage is a 6SN7 to allow one to choose among the many variations thereof, AC heating will include a trick I will show at the seminar. The driver stage is the 10Y/801A, again with a trick filament supply. The output stage is naturally the 300B, with yet another twist on the filament supply. A primary focus of the filament supplies is to provide a very quiet amp, without sonic penalty vs. ac heating. The power supply is all nickel ala Dave Slagle. The output txs are Tamura nickel. And to full surround the 300B with nickel, a Dave Slagle nickel filament choke.

There will be suggestions for an economy versions as well for those not wanting to spend BIG bucks for transformers. Somewhat to this end, those these do not necessarily constitute a reduction in quality, I have a few complements of power supply transformers and chokes that I will make available to those who attend. They are $200 per set. That gets one two miltary spec power transfomers and two miltary spec power supply chokes to build the monoblocks as presented. This is a steal!!! I am only willing to haul these heavy things if someones says so in advance. So, here's your chance. First come first serve: lmoore01@fuse.net Payment arranged in advance. You'll even save shipping.

The amps are constructed on black walnut chassis with all stainless hardware, cardas connections etc. They are shall we say, nice. Hope to see everyone there and have a good time sharing this design.

Larry Moore

Re: MAF Seminar [message #40795 is a reply to message #40793] Tue, 01 April 2003 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
Hi Larry...sounds like it's going to be a great seminar. I've been kicking around the idea of buildin' a tube amp for too long now...but it's certainly been a long time since I used to build some DIY stuff. Your amp sounds like it may just be the ticket I've been looking for...would you be able to help me out if need be? if so...I'll buy a pair of your transformers and chokes...just let me know what you think.

any pics of this amp...

thanks...take care>>>>>>

enjoy the music!

Re: MAF Seminar [message #40797 is a reply to message #40793] Tue, 01 April 2003 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your 300B amp seminar is going to be a really great!

I'm going to have a basic electronics seminar, so that will help give an understanding of Ohms Law, reactive circuits, resonance, peaking and damping. I think the two seminars will complement each other nicely, since what they gain at my seminar will help them understand the behavior of some of the things discussed in your seminar, such coupling and bypass components, capacitors, transformers and chokes. I'll tell 'em about passive components, resistance and reactance, and then you'll move on into active circuits. That's pretty cool.

See you there!

I tried... [message #40799 is a reply to message #40795] Tue, 01 April 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
...to e-mail you. But the e-mail server at work isn't working...hope you ge this message.

thanks!
Dan

enjoy the music!

Re: I tried... [message #40804 is a reply to message #40799] Tue, 01 April 2003 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Moore is currently offline  Larry Moore
Esquire
I can email you pics of the amp tomorrow. Contact me at moore01@fuse.net

I'd be glad to help you out, you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last, hopefully. I think you'll find that you'll have a great amps that you can pass on to your children, and their children.....that you yourself built and that will surpass most everything commerically available, and best of all, you built it, and your heart, and energy and sole will be stored in it....that's what this is all about.

Re: MAF Seminar [message #40808 is a reply to message #40793] Wed, 02 April 2003 04:19 Go to previous message
Dave Aukerman is currently offline  Dave Aukerman
Esquire
This project has been building for a long time, as I remember this time last year seeing the chassis in the layout stage. As it sat then, they were beautiful. But I also remember Larry talking about not wanting to build just another 300b like he has before. True to his style, these pups are gonna provide a musical experience.

For those on the fence about sitting in on the seminar.....jump on it with both feet. This is a rare op.

Dave

Previous Topic: 10Pi Plans?
Next Topic: 2 Pi Tower Review on enjoythemusic.com <nt>
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 06:07:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers