Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Paramours and other goodies for LIMA
Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40735 is a reply to message #40724] Wed, 26 March 2003 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Guy's

Great news about the Paramours Wayne! The tube stuff is fun. I think that I'm in room 505 but cant remember for sure. For speakers I will be bringing what I'm calling the Arezzo. It is just a simple two way consisting of a 12" woofer and 12" wood horn. There wont be any ground pounding, worm killing bass coming from my room. Just some good music. I will have my 100 watt push pull tube monoblocks for a power. Bassie pream, Denon preamp, NAD CD player with ART DI/O Tubed DAC and a Sony SACD.

Also to play around with. I'll have some other wood horns. The big 21" horns with 2" drivers and some 12's and 17's. Maybe we can triamp Wayne's 7 pi's with a pair of 2" drivers and a pair of 1" drivers.

See you all there!

Bill

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40737 is a reply to message #40731] Thu, 27 March 2003 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
there's tons of posts on C4S over on the Bottlehead forum- too many to pick out a few to show you. I ran mine w/out it for a couple months & enjoyed them, but after I put it on it sounded like new amps- tighter bass, few decibels more gain, and clearer midranges and highs, reduced hum. It also maxes out the gain of the 2A3 with about half the input voltage (around .7 or .8 volts to 1.5 volts). It supplies a constant current power source to the driver tube independent of the signal, and allows the max. voltage swing to be available to take advantage of the 2A3. Like having the engine revved before you let out the clutch...

If you put the C4S in right away, there's been a lot of them recently that have needed a 680-750 ohm resistor instead of one of the parallel 499-ohm resistors supplied, due to some fluctuations in the led's. If your B6 voltage is way high and B8 voltage is around 2.4 instead of 2.0, you may be a candidate to swap out this resistor. Lots on Bottlehead BBS about this, too.

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40740 is a reply to message #40724] Thu, 27 March 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
We open no kits before their time, eh? (Said in your best john Houseman voice. ;-)

I'll be directly below you in Suite 404 with a serious heap of Audio Note gear - CD players, transports DACs, preamps, power amps, turntables, arms, cartridges, speakers, cables, etc . . . 2 complete systems up and running, and a bunch of "spare" goodies.

I'll also have my Bottlehead Foreplay, "WannaGlows" and a Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD/CD/Mouse player along for fun. We can A/B your stockers against 'em. (Some very nice Mikey LevFevre iron in this pair!)

I'll be bringing 3 (or more) turntables, I've decided, 2 of which will be available to "float", I think. Mucho vinyl, of course.

I'll also have the oft-rumored TAD/JBL/TAD & Martinelli (Gor blimey, those horns are a beautiful sight!) beasts, still fussing with crossover choices, I'm sure.

I'm really psyched for Lima, (except for the 24 hrs of driving!), can't wait to meet you guys and do some listening!
Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40742 is a reply to message #40740] Thu, 27 March 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
24 hours of driving...yikes!

ya better drink alota coffee!

Can't wait myself :)

enjoy the music!

Re: C4S [message #40743 is a reply to message #40733] Thu, 27 March 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I expected that the C4S would decrease hum, but I wanted to hear the original design first. I guess I'll have to install it soon.

I was really impressed both with the quality and the quantity of sound. There is a bit of hum, but the hum reduction pots bring it down quite a bit. Gives it sort of a retro-50's sound, when most equipment was powered with a diode and cap. And really, it doesn't hum that much now and I suspect that the regulator board will reduce it further.

I was most interested in the bass response, because my speakers use 2226 woofers. I know that with some flea-power amps, the 2226 is a bit hard to drive. But I'm going to have to side with you and Ron that there was nothing lacking in the bottom octave in this combination. The bass was all there, all the way down, and very powerful.

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40744 is a reply to message #40737] Thu, 27 March 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the comments. I'll watch the voltages in the driver circuit after I install the regulator. I'm not sure if I'll do it now or wait until after Lima. There will be some other guys there with Paramours in various stages of construction and modification. It might be interesting to see how they each compare to the original design.
Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40745 is a reply to message #40742] Thu, 27 March 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Well, 12 hours each way.

Nothin' compared to what I'll have to do for VSAC, I'm afraid. D-oh!
Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40746 is a reply to message #40740] Thu, 27 March 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
My drive is going to be about 14 hours. You and I are going to be really tired on the first day. But at 24 hours, you're going to spend more time on the road than in the hotel. It must have been all the words of encouragement you got over on the "other place" a few days back.

You're still planning on connecting some of your source equipment in my rooms, aren't you? I'm counting on you because I'm only bringing some rather generic CD players. I'll bring some vinyl and some CD's too, but I'd still like to use your turntables and transports to play 'em on.

I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40747 is a reply to message #40745] Thu, 27 March 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, I see. 12 hours each way. Then we're clocking in at the same time.
Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40748 is a reply to message #40735] Thu, 27 March 2003 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
This is gonna be a great trip, isn't it?!!

I'm really looking forward to it.

See you there!

Previous Topic: Question for Wayne Re: Paramour Parafeed caps with Pi Theater 4's
Next Topic: Alpha 6 and horn loading
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:25:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout