Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » which is better?????
which is better????? [message #40703] Fri, 21 March 2003 19:56 Go to next message
Don17 is currently offline  Don17
Chancellor

Hello,

I am in the process of building a loudspeaker enclosure that will be compact and is capable of high output with clear sound for live sound. I know that nothing is better than a three way cabinet with a subwoofer. Now, the dilema comes in because I would like the enclosure to be long throw and I dont know whether to use a cone midrange or a compression driver/horn assembly.
Here is a couple of links to show you the cone mid range cone and horn assembly I'm having a hard time deciding.

The cone midrange i am considering is the Eminece Alpha 8 MR i was unable to post the info on it

-Thanx in advance
-Don

Re: which is better????? [message #40705 is a reply to message #40703] Sat, 22 March 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron

Hi Don.

When I read your post you talk about compact which takes folded and corner horns out of the picture. It sounds like the only part of the 3 way you are considering to go "horn" with is the midrange.

It's a little hard to picture what the system you are thinking about is like from what you've said so far but the compression driver midrange has a high efficiency. The other pieces you are using for top and bottom end should match fairly closely or you will just have to reduce the efficiency of the midrange.

Hope this helps.

Grant.

Re: Expand Your Horizons [message #40707 is a reply to message #40703] Sat, 22 March 2003 09:05 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
>"I know that nothing is better than a three way cabinet with a subwoofer."<

Everyone has their own opinion, but your assumption that a 3-way cabinet with a subwoofer is better than everything else probably wouldn't fly with many here. Depends on what your goals are, but lots believe single-drivers are the best, others prefer two-way bass reflex with no crossover or with a minimal crossover. Many just don't like subwoofers in the mix, finding them boomy and lacking definition, especially compared to a 15" or 18" woofer moving lots of air. Everything depends a lot on the amps, source, room, and what kind of dynamic response you want. I'd encourage you to explore your options more!

Previous Topic: 10 pi plans
Next Topic: Finally... Finished Quasi 4pi (PICS)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 19:49:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio