Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » SACD
SACD [message #40682] Wed, 19 March 2003 10:59 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I just wanted to say I picked up an inexpensive Sony SACD player a few weeks ago, and it Rules! Just some really, really, good sounding music coming from the unit. The redbook cd's sound equal to my transport with with Art di/o tube dac. It will be nicer when more recordings get made on SACD format.

Bill

Its nice! [message #40687 is a reply to message #40682] Wed, 19 March 2003 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
What have you tried?? I have Police, Billy Joel and James Taylor like them. Not a lot so far but have to start some where! Are you doing surround, 2 channel or both? My rig is stereo/ht. I really like some of the surround mixes.

Rob

"I can't get no...." [message #40688 is a reply to message #40682] Wed, 19 March 2003 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you grew up with the 'Stones' almost exclusively on the car radio and the occasional listen to LP's, what a treat the SACD's are!
Also find out that Bill Wyman and the rest are great rock 'n roll musicians. We used to argue about best guitar player, Clapton, Beck, Peter Greene, Banana ( Banana? The Youngbloods, of course!), but who knew that Keith Richards belonged, well almost, in that company. Maybe not the same chops, but wonderfully inventive, none the less.
Re: Its nice! [message #40691 is a reply to message #40687] Thu, 20 March 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Rob,

I have been staying with the 2 channel stuff. I have some DTS recording and some DVD-A and they are great. I just like the quality stereo 2 channel better.

Willie Nelson is a great disk and so is the count Bessie. Just picked up Roger Waters live 2 disk. pretty damn nice. Dave Brubeck is nice. half dozen classical disk too, maybe 15 so far. The media is little pricey so for sure you have to pick and choose. Marvin Gay and Billie Holiday were both disappointing and will be going to eBay soon!

I'll Have to get some satisfaction too

Bill

Re: "satisfaction" [message #40692 is a reply to message #40688] Thu, 20 March 2003 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Till,

Agree with you on the quality, but I get no satisfaction from the re-mastered Stones discs- to me, the medium was the message, and their music, like Chuck Berry's, was made to be played through an overdriven, clipping old tube AM radio, loud, preferably in the back seat of a car. In a lot of their songs, like Street Fighting Man, they recorded parts into portable cassette players and then miked those into the consoles to get that sound.

Have always been a big fan of Keith's, as most guitar players have been. Just about no better at making good solid music, without the flash (except when Jack Jumps). A lot of his riffs and songs sound very simple but they're actually very complicated and tough to get the right sound. Dude also deserves some kind of special award for staying alive!

You mean he is alive? :) [message #40693 is a reply to message #40692] Thu, 20 March 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought he just had a bad taxidermist.
Next best thing to a Delco 5 chrome button AM radio is EL-34's and horns. Yeah!
Re: You mean he is alive? :) [message #40694 is a reply to message #40693] Thu, 20 March 2003 11:54 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I think he's cheated the taxidermist out of his fee by self-inducing the chemicals that pickle what's left of his liver!
Previous Topic: Pi Align question
Next Topic: Any 2,3,4 Pi's in Charlotte NC area??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 21:16:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio