Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 pi questions
2 pi questions [message #40626] Thu, 13 March 2003 00:32 Go to next message
John EH is currently offline  John EH
Esquire
I'm running Bottlehead Paramours and looking to jump into the 97 db efficiency or higher world.

If I go with 2 pi bass reflex or towers what kind of wood should I use? I should say that I live in Japan and am unaware of any sources locally for MDF.

I've never veneered and I'd like to build from real wood if possible so I can just stain.

I assume the bass reflex is just a simple box. Anything unusual on the inside?

John

2 pi answers [message #40627 is a reply to message #40626] Thu, 13 March 2003 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suggest that you use a good quality, void free plywood such as baltic birch. Please see Till's post below called "anything lighter then MDF" for specific recommendations. You can apply a veneer or simply stain and finish it.
Re: 2 pi questions [message #40628 is a reply to message #40626] Thu, 13 March 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
John,

I built mine out of 3/4" birch plywood and finished them with a Tried & True oil finish, as birch doesn't stain well. They sound great and look real good. You can spend as much or as little time on the boxes as you want.

If you're going to use these in your office, you may be able to get something like MDF or particle board (the fine stuff, not the chip board) and then paint it instead of veneer, put some stickers on it, and be good to go.

These sound great with Paramours- lots of bass and excellent dynamics, and you cannot beat the price!

Matts

Re: another thought... [message #40634 is a reply to message #40626] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:23 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
John,

You might look at some prefab shelves if you can find some- many of them are made of MDF and come in convenient sizes for speakers. Over here, you can get them in 48"x16" and 48"x12" sizes that almost make a 2 Pi Tower, or can be cut down easily for the regular 2 Pi.

Matts

Previous Topic: DIY on a beer budget
Next Topic: Till E. -- Passive preamp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:08:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers