Home » Audio » General » Tweak recommendations from an unexpected source: Me!
Tweak recommendations from an unexpected source: Me! [message #4052] Sat, 20 January 2007 18:21 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Cable-hater that I am I have to acknowledge that Heartland 89259 IC's are better than Blue Jeans and the anti-Cables really sound great, much better than Royal Cable. What's more, they've piqued my curiosity about (shudder) high dollar cables.

I sucumbed to peer pressure and took the plastic body off my Dynavector 10x5 phono cartridge. It's airier and the soundstage is deeper and has more ambience.

Just for the hell of it I bought 2 of Herbie's Tube Coolers and put them on an important component, the Cornet phono stage, but only the 2 least important tubes. I liked it. Now all 7 small signal tubes have them. Big difference on the 2 5751's in the Rogue, medium on the 5965's in the 45 amp and low on the 2 12AX7s and 1 12AU7 Cornet.

It's all the fault of the 45 amp with its ultra-real sound which reveals everything. That and waking up every night at 2 or 3, unable to get back to sleep and prowling the web with my debit card nearby.

What about silver wire [message #4053 is a reply to message #4052] Sat, 20 January 2007 22:05 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Why not go straight 20ga single strand sivler wire with Teflon jacket? Forty feet of wire will run about $80. Terminate with your favotite connector and be done with it. Also, keep +/- wires spaced, since air is an almost ideal dielectric.

20ga wire will handle about 1.2A of current. Your 45 running 2 watts into 8 ohms will push about 0.5A, even at 4 ohms the current load is only 0.7A. You have plenty of margin.

I think for

Previous Topic: Citation 11 & 12 with Infinity RS5 speakers
Next Topic: Now that we're past Vegas, Who's Up for LoneStarAudioFest in May?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 04:05:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio