Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » TEN PI Questions...
TEN PI Questions... [message #40494] Mon, 03 March 2003 10:01 Go to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
I'm still trying to convince the church board that we need a pair of 10 pi's for main speakers. ( But we only spent $300 on those Sunn speakers 10-15 years ago......)Last night we lost our main amp so $400 of the budget will now be going to a Crown CE1000.

In the mean time, I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone tried using sand to fill the back part of the cabinet instead of expandable foam? Yeah, I know that would make them really heavy but they'd only get moved once. Any sound advantages or dissadvantages to this? Any idea as to HOW MUCH heavier this would make the speakers?

2. Lets say I have to use the expandable foam. How much is needed per pair and what does it cost? (I have to figure that into the budget also) Is there a specific brand name that works best and where do you get it?

3. Lets say a fella wants to build a 10 pi but wants to put the HF into another cabinet that sits on top of the 10 pi. Would the chamber for the JBL 15 have to be made a bit smaller to compensate for the airspace that the HF would have displaced?

4. How seamless do these speakers sound between the HF and midrange? If I like the way these sound I may build another pair to be used at home with my 2A3 amps. Or would I need to stick with the Thermionic Series or Theater 4's? If I went with 10 pi's I would probably eventually bi amp with the 2A3's on top and a bigger tube amp or SS on the bottom.

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Re: TEN PI Questions... [message #40497 is a reply to message #40494] Mon, 03 March 2003 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanko is currently offline  Shanko
Chancellor
10Pi's are hard enough to move as it is. If you filled the voids with sand, you would need a crane.

Maybe what you could do is fit rubber bungs in the side of the cab for the top and bottom spaces. Move the speaker into position, and then funnel the sand in. If you wanted to move them later, you might be able to tip them over (with a lot of help) and tip out the sand.

Have you got strong floors? This sort of treatment could get 10Pi's sounding even more 'solid'.

TEN PI Answers [message #40499 is a reply to message #40494] Mon, 03 March 2003 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've built lots of these things, and never filled them with anything but expansion foam. It works well and it doesn't add much weight. I suppose sand might work too except that it would be extremely heavy. Not only would that make it difficult or impossible to move but it would tend to bulge the bottom sections of the panels because it would have a sort of fluid motion. It might even even burst the panels. You can get expansion foam at your local hardware or lumber yards in aerosol cans, and that's your best bet for small quantities. You'll need a case of the stuff. But be careful and don't overfill because it will burst the panels. Please see the previous post called "Expansion foam products" for more information.

The ten π horn was originally designed for 40Hz to 400Hz operation, and most often crossed-over at 200Hz, using a midhorn and tweeter above them. But the reflectors promote HF propogation through the horn, so it can be used much higher than intended. There are side-to-side modes, naturally, but as an experiment, I used them in two-way speakers and they sounded remarkably good.

The thing is, π horns are large. For a personal system, you'll probably find that they're too large. Most people prefer a little bit smaller speaker for their homes.

Re: TEN PI Answers [message #40503 is a reply to message #40499] Mon, 03 March 2003 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Yeah, I got to thinking about what a cu. ft. of sand would weigh and wondered if it might make the darned speaker self destruct. Corner horns won't work because there arent any available corners. These would be set about 15-20 ft from the front wall in front of the choir.

A couple of weeks ago I watched "Monster Garage" for the first time and they were using expandable foam on a vehicle so it could double as a boat. The stuff they used came in a gallon can and they may have had to mix it. If anyone knows what this is, it might save some money over buying a case of aerosol cans?

I get a funny feeling inside when I think about 10 pi's in the "guy" room. No nancy-boy speakers for me! I could place them on the big wall below the Elk head and my poster of the Snap-On Tools chick. I feel my neck gettin a little redder already! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

This is just too much fun....

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Re: TEN PI Answers [message #40509 is a reply to message #40503] Mon, 03 March 2003 22:07 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Expansion foam is definitely cheaper in bulk. I used a pourable product for a while and it's easy to work with and reasonably priced. But I also wasted most of it, so the cost probably worked out to be the same.

Previous Topic: tube active crossover LISTENING TESTS
Next Topic: Which pi has the "most" bass?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:10:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio