Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I'm not only a member....
I'm not only a member.... [message #40427] Wed, 26 February 2003 16:58 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

I'm now an owner of a SACD player! after returning the CE775 i got for 120 as the last one in the store. It didnt work . I got a Sony NC 650V. Compared to an older sony cd player I was using in this little setup It does have a smoother more detailed sound with redbook cd's. With SACD media. Its really amazing. Well worth the 187 cost. I have to give the edge to SACD over HDCD. It's really a close call but the SACD has a bit more detail with out the digital crunch of crispness. HDCD has an advantage that an HDCD can be played in a regular cd player and still sounds better than redbook. SACD single layer can only play in the appropriate machine but there are a lot more titles on SACD for sure. This is all playing through an older Sony ES reciever that I use in the shop most of the time.
The 7 Pi's are sounding very very nice with too I might add. (must ve the horns:) I even picket up a copy of Mr Eulenspeigel's Merry Pranks!

Bill

...bringing it to Lima? [message #40428 is a reply to message #40427] Wed, 26 February 2003 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds exciting. I've not given the new digital formats a serious audition, so I'd love to hear what you and the rest of the gang have found there.
Re: ...bringing it to Lima? [message #40429 is a reply to message #40428] Wed, 26 February 2003 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Wayne,

yeah I think i'll bring it. I remember paying more for a cd player years ago and now its outclassed by a walkman. These are inexpensive by comparison. we can do an AB at Lima. get everything all set up and just slip in a SACD player. you'll be pleasantly surprised.
The software is the killer. this stuff isnt so bad and the price is getting better. the DVD audio is still too much for my liking.

Bill

SACD [message #40432 is a reply to message #40427] Thu, 27 February 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
I really think you'll enjoy the player Bill. It aint vinyl, but I have found SACD extremely musical and listenable - smokes redbook from what I have heard in my system and even on stupid expensive CD players in other systems. I have the Sony 777ES in my main system and CE775 in a second system and even though I still primarily listen to vinyl, I'm am enjoying music on SACD more and more - can NOT say that for seedee.

I've probably got about 50 SACDs now and could bring a bunch to Lima - let me know what titles people would like to hear and if I have them, I'll bring em.

Billfort

aren't the 5.1 outputs [message #40434 is a reply to message #40427] Thu, 27 February 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
the "correct" way to listen to SACD? I came SO CLOSE to buying the sony on closeout last fall at Best Buy, even had it in the cart for a while. But I put it back, figuring I had another year of developing my HT system before even "needing" a dvd/sacd player. Sam
Re: aren't the 5.1 outputs [message #40435 is a reply to message #40434] Thu, 27 February 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
No - surround is simply an option (gimmick? :-) ) with this format - it sounds wonderful in 2 channel mode and compliments vinyl quite nicely in a music only system. Some might like this in a HT rig with speakers all over the place, optimized for godzilla bass and bullet sounds flying around the room but personally, I love the way SACD makes MUSIC with 2 channels.

Billfort

Re: SACD [message #40436 is a reply to message #40432] Thu, 27 February 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

Aside from significantly more cost for the 777es, What kind of differences can you hear listening to the ce775?

you should bring all your favorites to Lima. I'm sure there will be quite a few SACD players there. I would think anyone wanting to show off their wares will be using an SACD if not ultra expensive vinyl rigs.

Bill

Re: aren't the 5.1 outputs [message #40437 is a reply to message #40434] Thu, 27 February 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I don't believe so Sam. I use 2 channel analogue outputs. If you use the digital you then bypass the DAC in the player and are using and external DAC or the one in a receiver. (I believe, I'm not a digital expert)

I wonder though. If a lot of the SACD quality comes from having a better mix down that is compatible with higher grade audio systems. Over all the years of fooling with audio the one thing that is always true is that the better the system. The better the well recorded, mixed and engineered software sounds. And, the worst mediocre and poor quality recordings sound. I have found some really good cd's to be quite nice while the bad ones are really just unlistenable. same with vinyl. they are not all the same.

Bill

Re: ...bringing it to Lima? [message #40455 is a reply to message #40428] Fri, 28 February 2003 08:01 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I'll be bringing my Sony 900ES DVD/SACD player along for comparison to CD (and vinyl), too. The results are surprising to most folks. That's all I'll say. Ya gotta hear it for yourself. ;-)

Keep your ears and your mind open.
Previous Topic: One Pi as home studio monitor
Next Topic: One Pi/Two Pi driver level adjustment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 13:47:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio