Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » P.Audio SD-450 N on JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn with Wayne Parhams compensation circuit
P.Audio SD-450 N on JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn with Wayne Parhams compensation circuit [message #40378] Sat, 22 February 2003 21:02 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey everyone. I'm thinking of using either the P.Audio SD-450 N or BM-D440 compression driver on a JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn. I would use Wayne Parham's compensation circuit after reading a lot of posts from him it looks like it works pretty good. Just wondering if I will recieve any troubles with this, or if the P.Audio's are really the ones to use or not. P.Audio stuff is pretty expensive in the USA, but here in Australia it is priced a lot better :) and theres not really any range available in australia and I would like to steer clear of orderering from the US because of high shipping prices. I can get the JBL 2370 bi-radial horns for AU$50 a piece (so about US$25 each ) which is pretty good to me. My goal is a smooth response, high efficieny, with wide dispersion and good clarity.

I've also considered building a bi-radial horn myself from wood after reading an article found here http://www.woodhorn.com/horn.htm that describes how. When making the horn, how do I construct it fr say 90 x 40 degree dispersion? Is it that the angles have to be 90 and 40 degrees, or is there more to it than that?

Are radial and bi-radial horns the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any type of feedback.... even if you dont know what your talking about anything would be cool :)

Radial horns [message #40380 is a reply to message #40378] Sat, 22 February 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Radial horns are those that are extruded along the horizontal axis to form a "pie slice" shape with straight side walls. Their purpose is to provide wider horizontal coverage and their straight side walls generate a uniform dispersion pattern in that dimension, but with narrowing directivity in the vertical plane.

Bi-Radial® is a registered trademark of JBL and it is similar, but has a more complex flare shape. The popular 2370 acts very much like a radial horn, having greater horizontal dispersion and narrowing directivity in the vertical plane. Below 1.6kHz, its vertical directivity begins to widen rapidly because of mouth diffraction, and JBL recommends vertical arrays to lower the frequency where vertical dispersion control is maintained. This is true, of course, for all mixed-dispersion horn shapes.

For more information, see JBL's 2370 product literature.

As for the crossover, both JBL's Bi-Radial® and their older radial horns work very well with top octave compensation such as is used in the π® Crossover, as do most other CD horns. This crossover has the additional benefit of damping resonance to prevent peaking near the crossover frequency.

Re: Radial horns [message #40381 is a reply to message #40380] Sun, 23 February 2003 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex is currently offline  Alex
Chancellor

Hey Wayne. Thanks for the info. I read in the JBL documentation file as well that these horns should be stacked on top of each other. Should they be turned upright though? Or just leave them the same position as normal but have more of them on top of each other. I dont understand how this can lower the freq where vertical dispersion is controlled, I would think it just gives wider vertical dispersion?

I think it was you before in another post mentioned something that 2" compression drivers should be used to do up to 20KHz. Is this true? I would like to go for a 2", but if 1" is better....

Oh yea, would you reccomend ANY radial horn? (assuming its the right size) or is JBL for example a lot better than others? (I'm thinking of some P Audio horns, but they dont state weather they are radial, conical etc. How can you tell if a horn is a radial one?).

Have you used or heard wood horns before? If so, what do ya think of them? Do they sound "nicer", or in particular, have less of a ringing, horn sound to them?

If I do decide to build a horn myself, where can I buy the flange that the horn mounts to? (one that takes bolts, not screw on driver). Cant find them anywhere!

Thanks again for any help! Alex :)

Re: Radial horns [message #40382 is a reply to message #40381] Sun, 23 February 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Forgot to ask is the JBL 2370 the same as the 2370A ?
Re: Radial horns [message #40383 is a reply to message #40382] Sun, 23 February 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You can array these horns vertically, in fact, I believe they publish polar charts of a vertical array of 2370's. That would help to improve vertical pattern control at low frequencies. The reason it does this is off-axis interference nulls form because of interaction from adjacent horns.

Don't rotate the horns because that would give tall vertical coverage and narrow horizontal coverage above through most of the passband, above about 2kHz. Below that, the pattern changes because of mouth diffraction. Essentially what is happening is that the horn's mouth forms a diffraction slot, so pattern widens at low frequencies. Since the vertical dimension is short, directivity control is lost along this axis first. Below about 1kHz, vertical dispersion of a single horn is actually wider than the horizontal pattern.

Re: Radial horns [message #40384 is a reply to message #40383] Sun, 23 February 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne. Since a dual throat adapter will need to be used if stacking, the one compression driver will be used for two horns (I think). I've heard that this can increase distortion?

On radial horns where the horizontal and vertical dispersion pattern is the same (like 60 x 60 degrees etc) are these suitable for the compensation circuit of yours? As radial horns dont add any garbage to the response (or something!) so your circuit will work good with them, I am wondering if a horn like this will suit it as well (its still radial). That way I wouldn't need to stack them, or spend money on extra horns and a dual throat adapter. But I've also seen that 90 x 40 degree are the best dispersion pattern.

Just another note on the 2" compression driver, the response curve shows the high end response to be similar to comparable 1" compression drivers I've seen, with the compensation circuit making even better (like duh!). This is all on paper though, I dont have any experience with sorts of drivers, I actually want them to cover 500Hz to 20KHz (the JBL 2370 is 630Hz lowest I think which is close enough :) I've found graphs of 1" compression drivers that shows it going flat down to 500Hz, but the manufacture still states a resopnse from like 1.5K to 20KHz! Why's this? I'm thinking it might be best to go with a 2" driver, but I'd like to hear what you have to say on this! For the graph example this page here http://www.paudio-europe.com/products/db_product.htm?v_tipo=2&v_tipo_desc=DRIVERS&v_num_series=6&v_des_series=BM-SERIES&v_id_art=42 As you can see the specs say 1.5KHz-18KHz but the graph shows it going to 500Hz!

Thanks! Adrian

Re: Radial horns [message #40385 is a reply to message #40384] Sun, 23 February 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The compensation circuit augments the top octave so it is suitable for any purpose where this sort of response curve is desired. Constant directivity horns need this kind of EQ circuit to compensate for the power response of the driver.

Also, don't run the driver too low because even though it may be capable of producing sound, diaphragm excursion goes up as frequency goes down, even if properly horn loaded. Modern compression drivers aren't designed to be used down deep in the midrange band.

Re: P.Audio SD-450 N on JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn with Wayne Parhams compensation circuit [message #40387 is a reply to message #40378] Sun, 23 February 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kramer is currently offline  Kramer
Chancellor
I've got a pair of BMD-450S (screw-on model) -- I thought they sounded great with a pair of 100 x 60 P.Audio horn lenses. The drivers will go down to 1200Hz at 12db/oct. I don't think you can go wrong, if they're reasonably priced.

Re: Radial horns [message #40388 is a reply to message #40383] Sun, 23 February 2003 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne, thanks for your help so far, just have a couple of last questions.

I'm thinking that the 1" compression driver may indeed be the way to go so I dont loose out on HF performance. But the reason I wanted the horn to go to ~500Hz and up is that the vocals are supposed to sound a lot better when coming from the one speaker. I know there are vocals below 500Hz but this is meant to be the best way to do reproduce them. Also, I didn't want half the vocals coming from a direct radiator (like a 12" or 15" to cover down to 70Hz or so with the horn) and the other coming from a wide dispersion horn, might make it sound a bit funny off-axis? Have you got any comments on this matter?

Cheers! Adrian

Re: Radial horns [message #40389 is a reply to message #40388] Sun, 23 February 2003 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
500Hz is smack dab in the middle of the vocal fundamental region. It's rather high actually, around the tenor to alto range. If you don't want to split the vocal region in two, better crossover below 200Hz and/or above 2kHz if you can. The lower crossover will get you below vocal fundamentals and the upper crossover will get you above the fundamentals and into the overtone or harmonics region.
Previous Topic: Pi 10 build idea
Next Topic: 10 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 03:49:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout