Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi and sound quality
2Pi and sound quality [message #40364] Fri, 21 February 2003 06:12 Go to next message
seanmcd is currently offline  seanmcd
Esquire
I am the proud new owner of an ASL Tulip 2A3 amp and searching for the right high eff. speakers to match with it. I do not want speakers that sound like PA speakers at all. I am looking for musicality and tonal balance with a smooth (not harsh) sound. Will the 2PI towers fit the bill? Is there a better choice? Thanks
Re: 2Pi and sound quality [message #40366 is a reply to message #40364] Fri, 21 February 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Depends on what you mean by "smooth". I really liked the sound of the 2Pi bookshelfs with my Paramour 2a3's. They sound balanced to my ears and not PA-ish at all. They do sound dynamic and will not round off the sound of bad recordings or poor front-ends. With good recordings, you'll be amazed and yet lesser recordings are generally portrayed in an enjoyable manner. Every now and then, though, you'll put on some disk and just have to pull it back out.
At their price you can't miss trying out a pair, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Simple and fun to build as well, if you chose.

G.

Re: 2Pi and sound quality [message #40367 is a reply to message #40364] Fri, 21 February 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I use 'em with Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours and am very happy with them. Sound great for all types of music, with good dynamics and plenty of volume in a good sized room. Quality of sound is better than most "commercial" speakers costing *many* times more than the 2 Pi's!
Re: 2Pi and sound quality [message #40392 is a reply to message #40366] Sun, 23 February 2003 15:48 Go to previous message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
The 2Pi's sound better than they should for $110/pair for the kits and as simple as they are (just 2 drivers per speaker with no crossover in a simple ported cabinet). Even the tower version is simple to build.
Previous Topic: 3" open cell foam insulation
Next Topic: PI's and amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 10:40:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout