Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Need help from the "crossover" experts!
Need help from the "crossover" experts! [message #40328] Mon, 17 February 2003 15:36 Go to next message
Paul is currently offline  Paul
Chancellor
Tested the speakers (Watt/Puppy clones) range with Stereophile CD Test disc 3, and the woofers are covering whole range to 4khz!! According to the x-over schematics, they should only go up to 150hz! What went wrong? I made shure all the values are correct and connections too. I am confused! Any help would be appreciated!

Paul

P.S. I guess i could have posted the sch. in the previous forum

First-order with conjugate Zobel [message #40333 is a reply to message #40328] Mon, 17 February 2003 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The crossover you have drawn is essentally a first-order network with a Zobel. There is a second circuit formed by the 100uF and the 12uF capacitors (forming 112uF) that is probably used to connect an external midrange or full-range speaker. The conjugate Zobel network on the woofer was a good idea to remove LC peaking, but the circuit will still pass considerable energy to the woofer at high frequencies.
Re: First-order with conjugate Zobel [message #40334 is a reply to message #40333] Tue, 18 February 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul is currently offline  Paul
Chancellor

You are correct Wayne, as this graf is showing (another dude explained this on the other forum). Also those two other caps are filtering signal to the separate box with the mid/tweeter. I saw same graf regarding Wilson Sophia, but 10" woofer cut-off at 1kHz (i guess that was the limit?) Isn't the "first order" good thing, and what would you suggest? Thanks!
Re: First-order with conjugate Zobel [message #40338 is a reply to message #40334] Tue, 18 February 2003 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You might want to use a shunt damper on the mid/tweeter. This will reduce peaks from crossover/driver interaction. The 10" driver looks like it works well as a midrange, so I see no problem running it up to 1kHz. And from casual inspection, it looks to me like the full-range system matches pretty well with the woofer. I think you have a pretty good system and I'll bet it sounds great.
Many thanks...! [message #40341 is a reply to message #40338] Tue, 18 February 2003 15:39 Go to previous message
Paul B is currently offline  Paul B
Esquire

Thanks for your time, and as you said i cannot complain about the sound but of the hazards of this hobby, that everything has to be disected to the lowest common denominator. Now when i heard things from the expert (You) i am going to spin some records with peacful mind! Thanks for your kind replay!

Paul Bukowski

Previous Topic: JeffG's 2Pi's
Next Topic: Rectangular port on stage series 4 pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 12:40:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio