Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Adjust size of 3Pi or 4Pi cabinet if placing horn outside?
Adjust size of 3Pi or 4Pi cabinet if placing horn outside? [message #40310] Sun, 16 February 2003 18:44 Go to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
If I build 3Pi or 4Pi speakers and plan to use a wood horn outside the cabinet, should I reduce the volume of the cabinet? By how much?

Thanks,
Patrick

Displacement volume [message #40315 is a reply to message #40310] Mon, 17 February 2003 00:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The volume that's displaced by the HF horn - about 250 cubic inches - is only a tiny fraction and is of little consequence, especially on the larger model speakers. Certainly, it won't hurt to offset for the change in volume but in practice I'd only do this for the very smallest speakers.

On something the size of the Theater Series four π Speakers, the volume displaced by the HF horn is just too small to change system tuning and you can safely ignore it. Changes in humidity will do more to change system tuning than a change of volume that's this small.

Previous Topic: bypass Martin Logan xover
Next Topic: premium 4 cabinet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:17:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout