Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Ella sighting, or..., a new passive pre, or... teeing off with a three wood
Ella sighting, or..., a new passive pre, or... teeing off with a three wood [message #40287] Fri, 14 February 2003 18:55 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ella didn't go for Foreplay. My $80 a copy Telefunken 12AU7's in the Foreplay began to crackle, snapple and pop. Vibration? Impedance mismatch? Bad Karma?
So instead of Foreplay re-build #1236 I pulled the Goldpoint shunt attenuators out and put them in a Hammond box with Fava Beans and a nice Chianti.
Hooked up the Paramours whilst I sweated over the Ella.
So you want to hear nothing but 2A3? No buzz, no crackle, no tube rush? Just music? You got it. Goldpoint's $136, magnet wire $1.50, 4 RCA's $17, box $20.
But not using a pre-amp is kinda like leaving your Driver in the bag, isn't it? You know: 2 good swings will get to the green but you lay up 'cause the last hole you sliced it into the woods.
So now I'm struggling to attach what amounts to litz wire to 1/4" long tabs on the Alps pot in Ella. Using solder as glue. There's gotta be a better way. Got it. Let it cool. Tug on it a little. Okay. Close it up. Hook "her" into the system.
And the left channel sounds glorious!
Right channel RCA is bad. Fried, defective, who knows! And of course the 4 I put in the passsive were the last I had on hand. Ordered some more. Hurry up and go to the post office, Kevin.
Hey, Kevin. Percy get's $38/pound for Cardas solder. You and Ron Wellborne and parts Connexion get like $800. What's up?

Re: Ella sighting, or..., a new passive pre, or... teeing off with a three wood [message #40291 is a reply to message #40287] Sat, 15 February 2003 05:02 Go to previous message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

What's going on with the Foreplay? Sounds like it may be being retired! Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that in my messing around with my EL-84 amp I found that adding a final stage of PS filtering using a 4uF GE oil cap(actually two, in pseudo dual mono config. ala VoltSecond) really opened up the music in an incredible way. Tried chokes as well but the oil really does it. I imagine the Ella is too new to begin ripping appart but thought I'd mention this for the next time you are possessed with the insatiable desire to improve things by your own hand. Tomorrow, maybe?

G.

Previous Topic: How many lemmings to Lima???
Next Topic: Port sizes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:58:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout