Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Life beyond 1" ?
Re: Life beyond 1" ? [message #40204 is a reply to message #40189] Fri, 07 February 2003 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
She was elated until i told her the extra inch needed to be hard wired to an amp, and would have to stay firmly planted on top of the rest of the drivers.

yeah, I thought the subject header would grap somebody's attention.

Re: Life beyond 1" ? [message #40205 is a reply to message #40196] Fri, 07 February 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

I'm planning on bringing tube mono blocks and a HT receiver. by the way, each mono block weighs as much as the big receiver! I'm not sure if I have the need for a biamp or not. If so, I have Mackie and Bryston amps to drag along.

Bill

Re: Life beyond 1" ? [message #40207 is a reply to message #40184] Fri, 07 February 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alfredo is currently offline  alfredo
Chancellor
Nice job Bill! Can't wait to see and hear the horns/drivers at Lima.

Alfredo

Re: Life beyond 1" ? [message #40209 is a reply to message #40184] Fri, 07 February 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter K is currently offline  Peter K
Chancellor
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your report! I must admit that your wood horns look truly great!

I would really like to hear a bit more about your impression of the differences between using a cone driver and a 2" compression driver (and horn) in the range between, say 500Hz and 1.6kHz. What is the pros and cons of either solution? Could you please elaborate on this? I thank you a lot in anticipation!

Regards
Peter K.

Alfredo... [message #40212 is a reply to message #40207] Fri, 07 February 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
Alfredo...are you bringing anything to Lima this year?

see you there ;)

enjoy the music!

Re: Life beyond 1" ? [message #40218 is a reply to message #40209] Sat, 08 February 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Peter,

The 8" JBL cone is what I run from 400-1.8 most of the time. There are some advantages and disadvantages between cones in a horn and compression drivers in a horn. I'm sorry, I'm not an acoustical engineer so I cant help you as far as distortion or probabilities are concerned. .

I have been finding through listening that the cone is a warmer and smoother sound. While the compression driver harder or sharper sound. I like them both to be honest. They are just different. The 8" cone and horn I have found to play out down to 300hz. JBL has rated that driver horn combo to 200hz in some applications but that doesn't work for me. 300 is the limit and i cross is at 400.

I have a virtually flat response out of the 2" compression in the horn from 380-4k. Again, dropping like a rock below 380 I find crossing a 400 too low and I like 500 or a little higher. The compression driver seems to have a little more dynamic or punch to it's sound over the cone. I like it for jazz and voices. The cone is warmer and I like that for orchestral and rock. Rock is just too harsh and I find most of the recording are just bad with respect that they have been EQ'd and mastered to play on low budget systems.

As a final note. I can tell you that this comparison is between a JBL M209-8A, which is one of the best you can find. And a Selenium D405TI compression driver, which is not among the best you can find.

Bill

Thanks! [message #40219 is a reply to message #40218] Sat, 08 February 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter K is currently offline  Peter K
Chancellor
Thank you very much for your reply - and please keep us updated regarding your experiences with these horns!

Regards
Peter K.

I think so...... [message #40241 is a reply to message #40212] Sun, 09 February 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
As you may know Tom Brennan is selling a lot of his audio gear including the A5 that he was supposed to bring to Lima. I have been talking to Paul Eizik about figuring out what we could bring to have a Chicago Horn room again. He said maybe bean counter would bring his system again but not sure yet. He even talked about bringing his own system.

I finished the Bottlehead phono kit (Seduction) earlier this week. I will probably bring that. Next up is a Tripath amp. Then there is the Steve Bench tube crossover that I bought the parts for exactly 1 year ago but never put together.

Are you bringing anything?

Alfredo

Re: I think so...... [message #40249 is a reply to message #40241] Mon, 10 February 2003 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonefishin is currently offline  gonefishin
Baron
I probably won't be bringing my speakers...tho, I hope they will be done before April *keep fingers crossed*.

Do you guys need an extra CD player? I got an extra I could bring.

take care>>>>

enjoy the music!

Re: I think so...... [message #40252 is a reply to message #40249] Mon, 10 February 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Make sure you invite me over right away when you get those finished! :) I can't wait to hear them!

We may need a cd player. I think i'm going to have a meeting soon with the Chicago guys so we can talk it over. I lost track of your work schedule. When do you have a Saturday off? I can schedule one for a day that you are off that way if your not busy you can come.

2 more months for Lima!

Alfredo

Previous Topic: Two questions
Next Topic: 2 Pi bracing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 07:31:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers