Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 60hz-220hz peak problem
60hz-220hz peak problem [message #40244] Sun, 09 February 2003 16:47 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

In the continuing saga of the my bass horn. I'm now liking the cheapest pair of 10" I have in this thing. they have the lowest extension, down to 30hz -3db and 25hz -10db. These are also giving me the highest extension too which is up past 2.5k. The upper doesnt matter so much but it keeps the response very flat in the 500-1.6k range where crossover is going on.

Problem. I have a 20db peak that starts at 60hz and rolls back down around 220hz. any suggestions would be great

I tried a Zobel on the two woofers and it didnt do a thing. not 1db differance to that peak.

I'm pretty sure i'm not getting room mode problems because I have measured a few different ways and it's always there. I have put the mic at the horn mouth, deep into the horn. built a surround from 10" fiberglass around the horn mouth and mic, and put the mic off the floor or in the air. It doesnt even matter if it is room mode because it still needs to be worked out no matter what the cause.

Paid a visit to Replay yesturday. His Mac equipment is really really nice, and the premium stage 4 Pi's have some serious bass going on with the Kilomax woofers.

I'm still pullin on this cuban too! thanks George :)

Bill

Re: 60hz-220hz peak problem [message #40246 is a reply to message #40244] Sun, 09 February 2003 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
How do you know what's coming from the speaker? I mean, unless you're measuring outdoors, you're not decoupled from the room.
Re: 60hz-220hz peak problem [message #40247 is a reply to message #40246] Sun, 09 February 2003 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I'll move it outside and see what happens. I dont think its as much of a measurment anomaly as it is a problem with the design of the horn or the need for a notch filter to compensate the drivers. Id rather stay away from an eq for the most part.
The horn models out with a peak in that range too. the model isnt peaked as wide as i have, but, the original model was for different drivers and ot the ones used now. Although the original model showed a great plot for a finished speaker. It sounded like shit and was not even able to be listened to.
Re: 60hz-220hz peak problem [message #40248 is a reply to message #40247] Sun, 09 February 2003 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What kind of design is your horn? Have you modeled it with Hornresp?
Re: 60hz-220hz peak problem [message #40257 is a reply to message #40248] Mon, 10 February 2003 19:03 Go to previous message
Grand Master
OK good, thanks. I'll try hornresp. I'm just looking for some new thoughts on the matter other than the regular stuff like room mode, home measuring, poor equipment and tweaking!
Previous Topic: interconnect question
Next Topic: Speaker impedance?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 03:00:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout