Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anybody want to hear about Ella?
Anybody want to hear about Ella? [message #40222] Sat, 08 February 2003 17:00 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt
Dude! [message #40223 is a reply to message #40222] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
If it's Ella F., I do!
ella fitzgerald or ella mcpherson? [message #40224 is a reply to message #40222] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i'd like to hear the former while i look at the latter. is this possible?

george

Re: ella fitzgerald or ella mcpherson? [message #40226 is a reply to message #40224] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Rodney Dangerfield

"My wife and I were making love and neither of us could climax........I looked at her and said "what's the matter, you couldn't think of anyone else either"?

Consonance amp? [message #40227 is a reply to message #40222] Sat, 08 February 2003 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think you're talking about Brian Cherry's amp, yes?

If so, please do tell!

Re: Anybody want to hear about Ella? [message #40230 is a reply to message #40222] Sat, 08 February 2003 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here she is:

I've had Speakerman's very well restored ST-70 playing all the while I was building so I should have been prepared for the EL-34 sound. But this is different.
First thing you notice is the front wall of the room becomes a stage with performers. Can horns and 15" direct radiaors disappear? Yes!
Second is the bass. BOOM! Overdone at times? Yes. but there's a caveat.
Low level detail of that bass line is phenomenal. The Schubert ninth SACD Szell/Cleve has really superfluous double bass line in the first movement that you really don't hear in a hall. It's there with Ella. Subtle, but there. And the foot pedal on pedal bass drum. Yes, you can hear the pedal on the Tall Band Jackson Peterson Brown cut 9 drum solo.
And PUNCH! Do you remember the first time you heard horns and thought,"this is what live music sounds like"? Hearing Ella is like that. More "live". There's more there, there.
Some systems and some ears will probably find Ella "unrefined". The upper mids and treble are as prominent as the rest which makes them a bit shrill or glassy or digital at times. Not all CD's, tho. The ancient audiophile recording "Cantate Domino", track 10 with the ethereal soprano for just 1:10 is just as heavenly as I remember with the Paramours. But the attack and decay of the cymbals on the drum solo "Cafe Blue" track 2 sound a little too hot.
Some of this could be the caps I used. "All Clarity Caps All The Time!" But they are also the source of all that inner detail:

There's about 10 hours on Ella with 50 suggested for break-in. But I don't buy that extended break-in stuff. Oh, there's more change but the initial impression is probably a lasting one. You can't see them but there are a pair of 6922 driver tubes behind the big toroidal PT that are currently the much maligned Sovteks. Those could be a bit of the upper mid-range glare. I'm waiting for the stock Valve Arts to show up, they were left behind in Hong Kong. And then there's Ameperex, tele's CCa's, Siemens etc, etc,.
The construction was prtty easy. The instructions were confusing and out of date in some places but Brian Cherry answers questions immediately. And I was forced to learn some things I wouldn't have, otherwise. I bypassed the volume control. The Foreplay is doing a good job. Ella's sensitivity must be about the same as the Paramours. The Goldpoint's gave me about the same gain as with them on the 'Mours.
And Ella is really 'built'. Thick steel powder coated plate, roomy circuit boards, quality little parts like good diodes and RCA's, etc. One other thing I didn't like were the output terminals. great huge tunnels of brass to slip 2 little wires into and fill with solder like glue. I prefer the Superior Electric or Cardas type. that's easy to change. Lot's of mods to try down the road.
$600 Airfreighted from Hong Kong. This is a lot of amp for the money.
I should probably post this on the DIYHIFISupply Forum but you guys are "family" so you get it first. I think I'll wait for the 50 hours and the Valve Arts before I post over there.

definitely centerfold material! [message #40232 is a reply to message #40230] Sat, 08 February 2003 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
nice job till! they are gorgeous!

cheers,

george

Re: Anybody want to hear about Ella? [message #40233 is a reply to message #40230] Sat, 08 February 2003 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Nice job Till. I was looking at these myself. Sounds like it's a great amp for the bucks. I'd like to see both the 49 hour and 51 hour reports though....
Why did you choose the Ella over the Billies?
Great write-up, thanks! [message #40234 is a reply to message #40230] Sat, 08 February 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the thoughtfully done review. And thanks for thinking 'bout us and posting here first. That's really cool of you!

You know, Stanley Chu was partners with Brian Cherry, and they were early customers of mine. Stanley and I had an ongoing dialog, and I really became quite fond of him. He was the first to point out to me that some high-efficiency speakers were "tube friendly" and others weren't. That was when I began to look for the reason why, and concluded it was impedance swings and the peaks at resonance. Stanley stopped writing a few months before his passing, and I was saddened.

But I realized way back then that these guys must be making a good product. They were conscientious and thoughtful, but at the same time they were not the sort of people that made you uncomfortable with aloofness. I really appreciate the folks over at Consonance.

One of these times, I really want to get one or two of their products too. But for now, I still need to find the time to assemble my Paramours.

Anyway, I appreciate your write-up of the Ella!

Re: Anybody want to hear about Ella? [message #40235 is a reply to message #40230] Sun, 09 February 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bob K is currently offline  Bob K
Esquire
Thanks for the writeup. It's good to know that someone is making a relatively easy EL34-based kit. That's how I got into this madness, with the late lamented Parts Connection Assemblage ST-40 kit, which I built when I didn't know a resistor from a capacitor. Although I listen mostly now to 300Bs, every time I put the ST-40 back in the system I'm amazed at how good it sounds.

Although it may be auditory hallucination, I wouldn't bet against the amps breaking in further. I remember that when I first plugged in my ST-40 it sounded like hell. I remember thinking I must have done something wrong, it was so bad. Although it improved after several days, it really took weeks until it got to the "acceptable" level, and it kept getting better from there.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi bracing
Next Topic: Driver for front-loaded horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 07:33:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout