Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Compare Thermionic 3pi and tower 2pi
Compare Thermionic 3pi and tower 2pi [message #40179] Thu, 06 February 2003 14:22 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Wayne, long time no post... I'm still enjoying my Thermionic 3pi - now almost a year old. In looking at the frequency response, efficency and cabinet size, it seems that the 2pi tower offers about everything that you get with the 3pi Thermionic in a smaller package.
They both have the same LF response and the HF is better on the 2pi.Frankly, I wouldn't mind a smaller package so I'm wondering how you would compare them sonically? I'm guessing the 3pi has a bit more bass impact, and maybe better dynamics due to the horn. Thoughts?
Re: Compare Thermionic 3pi and tower 2pi [message #40193 is a reply to message #40179] Thu, 06 February 2003 22:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The tower two π's are excellent speakers. Certainly I'm partial, but I think every one in the line is a great speaker. If I didn't think they were the best products I could design for the money, I'd change them.

The biggest place where the little one π's and two π's are outdone by the bigger speakers is in dynamic range. You're right that the tower two's have great bass response and that their top octave extension exceeds that of the larger models of π speakers. But the large format π's just sound bigger.

So I like both the tower two π and the Thermionic three π Speakers, and I'd be happy with either one. For the money, the tower two's are definitely great speakers. They are also attractive because of their size, and they fit well into many living rooms and home theater settings. Nice, deep room-filling bass, sweet, full mids and crystal clear highs. But the Thermionics are more like the other large-format π Speakers, in that they just sound "bigger."

Previous Topic: 2pi tower dimensions, using 3/4" mdf
Next Topic: Baffle step correction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 19:18:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout