Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long)
Re: Don't count them out yet! [message #40152 is a reply to message #40129] Wed, 05 February 2003 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Thanks for the input, how many hours do you consider sufficient for break in for the speakers?
Re: Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long) [message #40153 is a reply to message #40122] Wed, 05 February 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Mike, Thanks for you opinion of the Pi's and the MMG's.

I agreee with you about the ability of the Maggies to "disapear" They really do that and I like that about them too. I must admit that with dynamic speakers I do appreciate the dynamic sound but sometimes I get the feeling(especially at higher SPL's) that the speakers are SHOUTING at me, when I listen for extended periods of time I will become fatigued much more easily than with planars.

What I do like about the Pi Towers is that I can turn up the SPL as much as I want and get good clean, clear, undistorted music that is very revealing even from a cheap SS amp without pushing the amp all. Best of all, too really FEEL the music!(as many have stated). I GET A KICK OUT OF LISTENTING TO THE Pi Towers.

The two things that are the downside for me are the directivity of the music as you stated that the speakers do not "disappear", and the fact that at high SPL's the Towers will begin to make my ears tire fast. I can listen to the planars without feeling the pain. I do not know why but the planars are just a smoother presentation to me and for some reason more musical.

I suppose that I could attribute some of the results to improper room set-up or perhaps some room treatment would be in order but was testing both side by side in the same room and so the room acoustics can have some bearing since they are such different speakers but I really thought that I was giving the benifit of the doubt to the Pi Towers since they are not supposed to be placment critical speaker and the MMG's are. I did not even have the MMG's set up where I normally have them as I thought it would be fairest to have the two set-up side by side. I did not even place the MMG's towed-in to achieve maximum sweet spot.

Not quite... [message #40156 is a reply to message #40118] Wed, 05 February 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
It's all about dynamics? Ehh, not quite. What about colouration, frequency balance, definition, perception of width & depth ('soundstage'?), distortion, & soforth...? And speaking of dynamics - only a few CD's really are recorded true to life in that respect - & it's just as well! Just as an example, I live in an appartment - if I actually tried to get the full dynamics of, say, a symphony orchestra in my living room I'm pretty sure my neighbours wouldn't be too happy (my landlady live in the appartment just above me!). This is not to say that I refuse that dynamics IS a very important aspect of music - I've also come home from live events (both acoustically based & amplified) & felt that the stereo certainly lacked something in that area.

But there are other considerations as well - personal taste, not the least in music. The usual argument from audio freaks is that 'a good loudspeaker should play any music well'. In real life, however, & considering that most of us are on some sort of budget, the choice of audio equipment becomes a matter of priorities. There are a lot of factors involved - music taste, personal preferences, room considerations etc. (not to mention WAF!). That can lead to strange conclusions - for example, in some cases people get a more economical solution by having to different sets of loudspeakers with different strengths & weaknesses rather than buying the mega $ speakers that does it all 'right'...

Just a general comment - my 2 cents.

Re: Don't count them out yet! [message #40158 is a reply to message #40152] Wed, 05 February 2003 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
This is definately a fuzzy area. I had the luxury of 125 watts pounding while I was at work for 9 hours(can you say single). When I got home it was good to go. The validity or break in is argued, but when I got my Delta 15's thumping the cone sounded like styrofoam cups. After the torture test(still only half rated power for Theater 4's) I thumped them and got a tight dry thud that sounded way deeper. With soft jazz at mild levels it could be a while. I choose this example for ease of demonstration, but the tweeter should respond to break in like the woofer, give or take some for difference in construction and materials. It's like good new shoes. It's work just walking, but after you wear them some they are the most comfy things you own. Just play them a lot. Pick a disc with wide range and play it every weekend. You'll know. Let us know what you think after you move them around some, and they relax a little. I'm not saying you will retire the mags, That's to your taste, but I will bet you find a great setup for the Pi's and really enjoy them.

While reading one of the other posts I thought I should add that I have had mine all over this house and they are not hard to place. Meaning they do a good job in some awful situations. As for getting them to really gel like well set up Maggies (and I do like Mags and Acoustat too) I find that up against the wall with toe in crossing well in front of you will make you grin. They will never act like Maggies and your mileage may vary, but they sound bigger and more lush that way, and placement is free. Have fun.

Thomas

Re: Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long again) [message #40165 is a reply to message #40149] Wed, 05 February 2003 18:10 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi,
We have a couple of fundamental disagreements about the nature of sound reproduction. That's okay. Let's part as friends who agree that enjoying our hobby, listening to the music, and the related toys is a worthy endevor.
Take care,
Steve
Previous Topic: π three-way passive crossover 250Hz/1.6kHz
Next Topic: Wayne: Advice for EV LS12A drivers in Pi Alignment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:21:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio