Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Taking the shout out of piezo tweeters
Actually, a lot of VERY GOOD speaker [message #39996 is a reply to message #39988] Wed, 22 January 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
I had not meant to imply that my 2 Pi's are bad. In fact, they sound far better than I had expected for 50 bucks each. They provide the most articulate (and possibly lowest) bass of all (about a dozen) speakers (up to $3000/pr) I've had in my system. The "excessive forwardness" is only a problem because everything else is so good.

When I got home from the office yesterday, my wife had The Propellerheads cranked way up on the 2 Pi's; so her initial reaction seems to have tempered a little.

After several more hours of listening, I am now conviced that the "problem" I hear is indeed in the upper vocal range. Maybe a different or larger inductor than the .47mH Goertz copper foil I used is all I need. I was also thinking of trying the 1038 mated to a Delta 12-LF (in an appropriately larger box) for another experiment.

Re: How long have you listened to these? [message #39998 is a reply to message #39996] Wed, 22 January 2003 08:37 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master

Are these brand new? Cause if they are it's possible that you need to let the Eminence break in some. If I remember, I thought the tweeter was right there off the bat, but the woofer opened up over a few weeks. Makes sense, cause it's got a lot more mass to move and groove in. I've found this to be true of most equipment, but especially mechanicals- just takes awhile to break in. If yours are brand new, I'd wait at least a month or two before you start tinkering so you know what you're trying to change. otherwise you won't know whether it's your mods or the break-in process that's causing the differences.
Previous Topic: Pi Speaker Plans
Next Topic: Can I have the plans for Pi2 towers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 14:51:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout