Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Woofer-tweeter
Woofer-tweeter [message #39863] Sun, 12 January 2003 12:08 Go to next message
Mike Centracchio is currently offline  Mike Centracchio
Chancellor
Could use help,
I came across a woofer and a tweeter cheap, so I bought them.
The woofer is a Selenium 8pw2, 8 inch, 8 ohm, 70-8000 Hz, 94 dB SPL.
The tweeter is a KSN1036A 3000-40000 Hz SPL, 90 dB
Selenium suggests a .66 cu/ft ported box (3 inch dia x 2 inch lg)
I took a look at (basic piezo x-o) found on a link in this forum.
I guess I could use these cap, and inductor figures for a cross
at 3500 or so. Also had the idea to model it after 1Pi, using just a woofer inductor.
My main question is how to compensate for the difference in the dB SPL between the woofer and tweeter.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks Mike
Re: Woofer-tweeter [message #39864 is a reply to message #39863] Sun, 12 January 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
To attenuate a piezoelectric tweeter, use a capacitor in series. Since the tweeter is primarily capacitive, a series capacitor forms a voltage divider rather than a frequency splitter. There is no filter function when components having the same reactive properties are connected together. So a capacitor/capacitor network forms a simple voltage divider, much like a resistor/resistor network does.

For a KSN-1038, you can expect attenuation in the following amounts:

1.0uF 1dB
0.5uF 2dB
0.33uF 3dB
0.22uF 4dB
0.1uF 7dB

These values are what you'll get if you connect a capacitor in series with the tweeter, and do not use any other components. That gives broad-band attenuation only, and does not act as a crossover.

See the post called "Pi implementations of quartz piezoelectric tweeters"

But Mike says the tweeter is the less efficient driver (nt) [message #39872 is a reply to message #39864] Mon, 13 January 2003 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
Re: Woofer-tweeter [message #39874 is a reply to message #39863] Mon, 13 January 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Hi Mike,
Your post came at a good time, as I'm playing with a piezo driver too. Wayne has posted links to piezo implementations in the past, and I think you're looking for a 70v matching transformer to step up the voltage to your tweeter. Kind of takes the fun out of buying a really cheap tweeter if you have spend $6 more for a transformer, but there isn't any other way to boost them.
On the other hand, the KSN 1038 that Wayne uses is also very cheap, has the "good" motor, and matches a 97 db driver. You'd only need a small cap in front of it to match yours.
I'm trying to slap some manners into a KSN 1188 compression driver and a paper mache 400 hz tractrix horn - great fun indeed.
Most of the piezos sound (to me) kind of tizzy and harsh, the 1038 does not.

Now to paint some nice black roofing compound on the outside of the paper horn without destroying my clothes...

John

Re: Woofer-tweeter [message #39876 is a reply to message #39874] Mon, 13 January 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
So John, if you haven't tarred yourself in place, are you thinkin' of bringing those homebrew horns on Saturday?
Keep your ears and your mind open.
To attenuate the woofer, just use a resistor or L-Pad [message #39879 is a reply to message #39872] Mon, 13 January 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If a person wants to attenuate a voice coil driver, then use a resistor network or L-Pad. Usually a Zobel or some kind of impedance compensation is also desirable, so I would suggest combining the function of L-Pad and compensator. Usually, voice coil drivers have quite a bit of inductance in addition to resistance, so the system benefits from this kind of arrangement.

Still, if I had to pad down a midwoofer in a two-way system, I'd probably consider using a different tweeter.

Re: To attenuate the woofer, just use a resistor or L-Pad [message #39880 is a reply to message #39879] Mon, 13 January 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike C is currently offline  Mike C
Esquire
Thanks For getting back to my question Wayne and Patrick.
Wayne should I use an inductor for the woofer in reference to
how you designed one into your 1 Pi design?
Sorry for so many questions, but this should satisfy whats
on my mind.
Mike
Electrical filters [message #39881 is a reply to message #39880] Mon, 13 January 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The coil that is used in this design is to compensate for rising on-axis response in the midwoofer. If the one you are using has this kind of response, then you might do the same thing. But the choice of reactive components in the signal path is something that you should examine on a case-by-case basis. It's not a "one size fits all" solution.
Re: Woofer-tweeter [message #39883 is a reply to message #39876] Tue, 14 January 2003 03:20 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Hi Dave,
If I can squeeze a little more HF out of them (it) I might bring it with a Karlson box or a 2-12" BR box I've been fooling with. The lower sensitivity of the BR allows more room for passive EQ, but that big piezo driver is kind of a strange beast to work with. I'll try a Zoebel on the transformer tonight.
Might wind up just bringing some bottles (liquid refreshment type) and my ears.

John

Previous Topic: How many of you have "Soular Energy"? Hands?
Next Topic: Let's try those 2Pi Towere pictures again.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 20:32:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio