Home » Audio » General » Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench
Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench [message #3962] Sun, 26 November 2006 11:10 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I brought the new base for the 45 amp and my tools to Steves. While I transferred the 45 from the temp base to the new one he wired his version of the same circuit. There was actual conversation while we worked, so rare in this mostly solitary hobby!

Steve used damper diodes and a few other twists on his as well as a very spiffy contemporary-looking base.

Of course it also features a neat layout

He's on a road trip today but I imagine he'll have some comments on the design.

Mine is playing beautifully right now and I'm thrilled with the outcome Steve helped me to acheive

These are some of the quietest tube amps you'll ever hear and we're looking forward to comparing them to Colin's Yamamoto in a few weeks.

Re: Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench [message #3963 is a reply to message #3962] Sun, 26 November 2006 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Both look great! Love Steve's base and yours too! Your top plate is the one you had powder coated recently, right?

Re: Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench [message #3964 is a reply to message #3962] Sun, 26 November 2006 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Those are two stunning amps Bill. I'd sure love to hear something like that someday. They are something to be really proud of. I hope you get years of enjoyment from it.

Re: Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench [message #3967 is a reply to message #3962] Thu, 30 November 2006 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Both look very nice! Bet they sound great. Are you using 3 psu chokes cause of splitting into a dual mono configuration?

Re: Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench [message #3970 is a reply to message #3967] Thu, 30 November 2006 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
There are only two PS chokes, one for each channel. The other item you see is a filiment transformer. And yes, dual mono power supplies.

Re: Thanksgiving gave Steve and I time to spend another great day together at the bench [message #3972 is a reply to message #3970] Fri, 01 December 2006 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts_ is currently offline  Matts_
Chancellor
cool- thx. Both are excellent looking work- I have iron to make these amps and haven't got around to it....real work keeps interfering.

Nicely done. [message #3977 is a reply to message #3962] Thu, 07 December 2006 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Where did you get the tube socket mounting rings?  Are those from Chung?

Aloha,

Poinz

Re: The tube mounts are from Forstner [message #3978 is a reply to message #3977] Fri, 08 December 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Steve's pretty good with a drill press, don't you think?

Re: CCS's? [message #3985 is a reply to message #3962] Wed, 13 December 2006 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
which current sources did you guys use on the drivers?

Re: CCS's? [message #3988 is a reply to message #3985] Fri, 15 December 2006 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Used a simple one stage MOSFET on Bills, but on mine I used a couple of Gary Pimm's super-duper Rev 5 self-biased ones. I've got a couple more of those nearly complete to put into Bill's amp. These help ramp up the voltage a bit more slowly which is nice, especially since Bill used SS rectification on his amp.

Previous Topic: Packing Really Big Speakers
Next Topic: Merry Christmas to all
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 15:13:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout