Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Stands for 2 Pi
Stands for 2 Pi [message #39624] Sat, 28 December 2002 23:39 Go to next message
Tuan is currently offline  Tuan
Chancellor

Hello All!

I'm expecting to receive a pair of 2 Pi's in a few weeks from Wayne.
I'm looking for a pair of stands large enough for the 2 Pi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Most of the stands I've seen have a top plate of 6" X 6", the largest being 6" X 8". Neither seems to be large enough for the 15" X 10" base of the 2 Pi.

What are you 2 Pi owners using? Do you just place them on the floor?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Stands for 2 Pi [message #39629 is a reply to message #39624] Sun, 29 December 2002 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I don't use stands for mine- have them up against a wall about 3 ft. from the corner. I think they're made for being at the intersection of two planes- so if you put them right in a corner you'd need stands.
Why not a 2Pi Tower then <nt> [message #39630 is a reply to message #39624] Sun, 29 December 2002 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Re: Stands for 2 Pi [message #39631 is a reply to message #39629] Sun, 29 December 2002 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I didn't want floor standers and thought the bookshelf model would be more versatile, placement wise.

Without stands, aren't they a bit low compared to your listening position (unless you're sitting on the floor)?

Re: Stands for 2 Pi [message #39632 is a reply to message #39631] Sun, 29 December 2002 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Smaller pi2's are more versatile in placement; towers may be better if you want the speaker to be more at ear level in your listening position, and you won't need a separate stand. Mine are fine on the floor in my room and with my setup- they fill the room completely and sound great. I've used stands in the past with other speakers, but haven't had the inclination with these. Lot of it depends on your room and how much bass you want to add or reduce through placement.
thanks [message #39633 is a reply to message #39632] Sun, 29 December 2002 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks
Re: thanks [message #39638 is a reply to message #39633] Mon, 30 December 2002 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dwkurfma is currently offline  dwkurfma
Baron
I would make sure you are on axis to the tweeter as much as possible to retain the best overall balance. I suggest a wedge shaped stand, probably a couple of inches tall to accomplish this. I have done this by cutting a piece of wood to fit the size of the base of the speaker, then adding a strip on the front to build the inclined plane. If it won't freak you out to make some small holes, simply cut a piece of matching trim (check the height first!) using mitered corners and attach it on, not under the front of the cabinet using trim nails. Then place matching pieces on the side and cope the corners. If this is too awkward, skip the mitering. Just extend flat stock out beyond the edges of the front of the cabinet by the width of the stock. Then scribe the resulting angle onto the side piece and trim with a good miter saw to form a butt joint. I have used this technique and as long as the trim is well chosen, it looks great and sounds much better than firing straight ahead, especially with a carpeted floor.

Dan

Re: further thought [message #39639 is a reply to message #39638] Mon, 30 December 2002 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Looking at Dan's post reminded me of Till E.'s two pi towers- he built an angle into the front baffle to accomplish what Dan's talking about with the angled stand. Till's got pix on his web site- very nice looking speakers. Do a search for some of his posts on them if you're interested in that concept.
Re: Stands for 2 Pi [message #39641 is a reply to message #39624] Mon, 30 December 2002 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks like you got a lot of good suggestions. There are lots of great guys here, and I suspected that they'd have some input. Most consider bookshelf speakers to be fairly insensitive to placement, and compensate for any inadequacies that result from position with their preamp tone controls. I'm a purist myself, and prefer to put them in corners up on bookshelfs. But other positions work well too, and as long as they aren't suspended in free space, they sound pretty good.

Did I send you a list of stands? Seems like I sent a link to a place that had stands. I've see a few that were really attractive. There may be some people here that would be willing to custom build you some nice stands too, you might ask "Till E." or "bmar" or some of the others. Anyone that is interested, please feel free to post a reply.

And one last thing. I just got off the phone with Jason the cabinetmaker. He says that he plans to have your cabinets done next week, and we can populate and test them within a day or two after that. So I expect for you to have your speakers very soon.

Re: thanks [message #39655 is a reply to message #39638] Tue, 31 December 2002 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor

Hello Dan,

thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I could only follow half of what you are talking about (completely clueless about woodworking). Maybe I can get home depot to cut out a wedge shape piece to act as an inclined base for the speakers. Or use some cone points to incline the speakers. Of course, they would have to be some fairly large cone points.

Previous Topic: Studio 1 pi as corner horn
Next Topic: Happy New Years!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:42:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout