Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Oil caps...
Oil caps... [message #39615] Fri, 27 December 2002 13:57 Go to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I bought some Jensen Oil caps to try out and see if I can take the edge off the top end....WOW...are they honkin' LARGE.... a .33uF is the 10X the size of a regular cap...yikes!
Kelly
(and 5x the cost!!!!!!!)
Re: Oil caps... [message #39619 is a reply to message #39615] Sat, 28 December 2002 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Kelly!

Have you seen Steve Bench's paper called "The Sound of Capacitors?" It shows some performance data for various capacitor technologies and is very interesting.

Take care!

Wayne

PIO caps [message #39621 is a reply to message #39619] Sat, 28 December 2002 10:52 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Yes I read that a while ago....that and a few other posts that rav up oil caps....Bruce Edgar had some posts on AA about how oil caps could take the crunchyness out of the ST5022 Fane tweeter and that how with out oil caps it was pretty much unlistenable!....He also recommended using plain old motor run caps (dc rated ones prefered, so I checked out a bunch of salvaage yards and dug up a enough caps to build 2 crossovers ....all but the .33 which I had to get new from Partconnex (while I was at it I got a mit full of Mills resistors too....might as well go all the way)....I'm going to build a couple of boards with spade conectors so I can swap parts more easily for some ab comparisons....I'll keep you posted.
Kelly
Previous Topic: 2 inch horns selection
Next Topic: Survived the move and made a discovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 05:33:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers