Home » Audio » General » pawn shop electronic
pawn shop electronic [message #3943] Sun, 05 November 2006 13:54 Go to next message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
I am curious.. are the items at pawnshps, like electronic gear, musical instruments worth the dicounted price just to get a feel for playing with it? or should i see about going to a place that sells new electronic musica instruments?

Re: pawn shop electronic [message #3945 is a reply to message #3943] Sun, 05 November 2006 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
As far as instruments are concerned, I've never "found" a "good deal" at a pawnshop. Most pawnshop owners have no clue about what an instrument, guitars anyway, should play like. Most of the ones I've seen have been abused severely....eg. dented frets, neck cracks, twisted necks, etc....They just go off of what the relative Ebay price is. Amps can be hit or miss.

FWIW, most local dealers will match any catalog price such as from Musicians Friend or AMS. And you get the service that comes with buying new equipment from a local dealer if you have any problems. There are lots of inexpensive starter instruments out there.

Re: pawn shop electronic [message #3950 is a reply to message #3945] Mon, 06 November 2006 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In addition to all that Shane said, it's been my experience that you can usually find used instruments in a music store that are both in better condition and less expensive than what you'll find in a typical pawn shop. Most music stores have someone working there who can spiff-up an instrument to make it playable and reliable.

Dave

Re: pawn shop electronic [message #3956 is a reply to message #3945] Tue, 14 November 2006 15:35 Go to previous message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
Th reason I asked is my aughter wants ot lear to play guitar and I usd to play piano and guitar, ukelele.. dont laugh.
And my parents bought used for us.. but they never said where they got it.
So we were at the pawn shop we do regular business wiht and there were loads that that both my daughter and I liked. A keyboard and a guitar.....
so if they aent worth the spit for a stciker,, should we chance a walmart cheapo?
julie

Previous Topic: NAD 7020e AM FM STEREO RECEIVER
Next Topic: Royal cable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 07:28:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers