Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Seven PI Corner horn and Altec 515's
Seven PI Corner horn and Altec 515's [message #39366] Fri, 06 December 2002 00:24 Go to next message
Ashareth is currently offline  Ashareth
Esquire
Hi all,
this is the first time I write in this forum.
Well, I fell in love with the seven PI cornerhorn design; they are simply beautiful.
Given that I'm going to receive soon a pair of Altec 515E's, I was wondering whether these enclosures could make a good match with them.
And, if so, will they match an Altec 311-60 midrange horn with Altec 288-16K's?

These are my doubts. And still I have not decided what enclosure I'm going to build.
And, just for the records, this is the first time for me with a Horn system.... (well I've built a Lowther folded horn once)

Thank you all in advance.
Best regards,
Enrico.

P.S. In case the seven PI (15") should be a suitable design, is there any place on the web I could get the plans?

Re: Seven PI Corner horn and Altec 515's [message #39367 is a reply to message #39366] Fri, 06 December 2002 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You will find the seven π cornerhorns are an excellent, high-performance system with your Altec components. There are many others here that have built π speakers using Altec woofers and compression drivers and reported great things about their systems.

The trouble is that all the plans are drawn for current production devices, specifically, those made by Eminence and JBL. As such, the cabinet would not be optimal for your woofer. I would recommend that you enter the woofer's parameters into PiAlign and let it calculate cabinet dimensions for you. If memory serves, the Theater Series seven π and Professional Series seven π-18 speakers are closest to what you'll want in size, and the crossover used in the Professional Series seven π-18 model is the one you'll want.

I'd be happy to send the plans for either of these speakers to use as a starting point, but I think it would be best to do a little studying first. Download the PiAlign program and read the "readme.txt" file contained in the distribution archive. It is only a couple of pages long, so it won't take long to read and will familiarize you with how to run the program and what parameters are required. You'll use familiar T/S specs, with one exception, Qd = 1/Qts. Other parameters Vas = Vad and Vas = Vad, but all this is described in the "readme.txt" file, so I simply encourage you to read it and run the program. If you have any trouble, feel free to ask.

Re: Seven PI Corner horn and Altec 515's [message #39395 is a reply to message #39367] Mon, 09 December 2002 01:27 Go to previous message
Ashareth is currently offline  Ashareth
Esquire
Hi Wayne,
sorry for my late reply, but I was away for the weekend.
First of all, let me thank you for your suggestions.
Unfortunately I'm a Macintosh user so it will take some time to find someone's PC to run the PiAlign program.
When I'm done I'll let you know what I've found.
Thank you again.
Ciao,
Enrico.
Previous Topic: Theater 4's w/ EL-84 at 14 Watts per
Next Topic: cabinet makers, please help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 02:53:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio