Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » so I wanna build the Pi 2
so I wanna build the Pi 2 [message #39191] Sat, 23 November 2002 18:46 Go to next message
Roublard Cache is currently offline  Roublard Cache
Esquire
I am new to speaker building and am looking at building the Pi 2 "bookshelf" model. I have heard lots of people on the net liking these, but am somewhat leary about using the same driver that i just put in my guitar cab for my home listening. I am looking for a dynamic speaker for symphonic and progressive rock music. I only have about a 200 dollar budget to build these, but was wondering if there are better drivers that could be used? Also, would 3/4 birch plywood be a good material to use?
I would be driving these with a McIntosh MA-5100 amp.
Ben
Re: so I wanna build the Pi 2 [message #39193 is a reply to message #39191] Sun, 24 November 2002 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Ben,

There may be better drivers out there but I think you will find that the 2 Pi's are excellent! I don't think there are any loudspeakers available that combine the virtues of the 2's: Inexpensive, relatively full range, fairly efficient, great performance with tubes or SS, and lively dynamics. You'd swear you are listening to much larger and more expensive speakers! Most other loudspeakers, DIY or otherwise have some of these attributes but not all. Some will be fullrange but not efficient. others will play nicely with tubes but have weak bass or poor dynamics... and the price can't be beat at all!

G.

Re: so I wanna build the Pi 2 [message #39198 is a reply to message #39191] Sun, 24 November 2002 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I wouldn't be leary of using the Eminence. Guitar amps are a different type of animal, and the driver sounds great in the 2Pi. I built a pair and used 3/4" birch ply and they sound incredible, especially for the price. You won't find anything else that'll come close for the price!

Also, if you've never built speakers before, these are easy to build if you use butted construction and screw and glue. Good first project.

Re: so I wanna build the Pi 2 [message #39202 is a reply to message #39191] Mon, 25 November 2002 03:20 Go to previous message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
I just heard the 2Pi's recently and they ARE the real deal. At the assembled price they have competition, but at kit prices - forget about it.

Personally I'd build the 2Pi towers to gain lower bass response, and using 16 inch and 12 inch MDF shelving they'd be easier to build (let Home Depot make the major cuts for you).

Remember, no cross-over. Couldn't be much easier.

Previous Topic: Top octave augmentation?
Next Topic: new vs old kilomax
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:23:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout