Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Time alignment of the 2 Pi Tower drivers?
Time alignment of the 2 Pi Tower drivers? [message #39103] Mon, 18 November 2002 12:47 Go to next message
BobCat is currently offline  BobCat
Chancellor
Wayne,

I have two intriguing thoughts (at least to me). This pertains to the 2 Pi Tower models:

1) What about mounting the Piezo tweeter on the top the speaker cabinet in a time aligned version (ala BMW)?

2) What about mounting the drivers similar to the Vandersteen 1C (woofer angled slightly up and tweeter time aligned)?

BTW, where did the name PI come from? Was it from the use of the PIezo tweeter in your first famous 1 Pi?

Thanks,
BobCat

Re: Time alignment of the 2 Pi Tower drivers? [message #39105 is a reply to message #39103] Mon, 18 November 2002 15:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

>> What about mounting the Piezo tweeter on the top the speaker
>> cabinet in a time aligned version (ala BMW)?

The drivers are already physically aligned, if that's what you mean. The versions containing piezo tweeters have no passive crossover and instead only incorporate a small value inductor which is too small to appreciably change phase. In this manner, the system can be considered to be "crossoverless." Further, the physical offsets of the diaphragms are almost zero, so the two sources are at nearly identical distance to the listener on-axis, or off-axis at any angle in the horizontal plane.

There's more about time alignment in the collection of posts below.

>> Where did the name PI come from?

This is a federally registered trademark and was first used in the seventies. I chose the name because of the number of times this value is used in the calculations used to align the box and crossover.

Previous Topic: Wayne - Tower 2 Pi Question?
Next Topic: Delta 15 box??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 08:58:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout