Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » NE Bottleheads, re: Pi 4's vs Straight 8's
NE Bottleheads, re: Pi 4's vs Straight 8's [message #39005] Mon, 11 November 2002 09:00 Go to next message
TOttman2 is currently offline  TOttman2
Chancellor

I couldn't make the last meeting (11/3) at DRCope's place. How do Steve Coultins Straight 8's sound as compared to the Theater Pi 4's?

Opinions ? Comments ?

That was just what I was wondering... [message #39013 is a reply to message #39005] Mon, 11 November 2002 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
...since I've heard the 8's several times in different systems and have the Pi theater 4's and had my friend's 2's at home for a few days. Unfortunately I've never AB'd the 8's with the Pi's.

G.

Re: NE Bottleheads, re: Pi 4's vs Straight 8's [message #39016 is a reply to message #39005] Tue, 12 November 2002 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
I'll dip my toes into this one . . .

Steve's 8's sounded better that day than I've ever heard 8's sound before, and he seemed thunderstruck by the sound quality as well. We heard them using Audio Note transport, DAC and vinyl rig in conjunction with the M-5 preamp and first my WannaGlows, then the AN Conqueror (300B) amp. They sounded lovely with the 'Glows, but not entirely relaxed on peaks, which changed with the switch up to the 300B amp. It had WE's in it, which didn't hurt any either.

John's speaks weren't exactly Theater 4's, although the drivers were the same, as he did in fact finish his Karlson cabs in time to bring 'em to the meet. The bottom end on those babies is absolutely concussive. Most of the time we heard them with Ryan's 845 amp which was running at 500volts and 3-5 watts. It sounded gorgeous, but couldn't seem to quite reign in the woofers in the Karlson. I don't think John found the sound to be what he expected. Just have to bring 'em back another day! (He cleverly sized the boxes to fit like a glove in the back of his wagon. A real custom fit!)

I hope other guys weigh in! I'm still reluctant to express detailed opinions about these things now that I wear a dealer's hat on the forum. My approach hasn't changed, but the rules have with the status change.

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Re: NE Bottleheads, re: Pi 4's vs Straight 8's [message #39018 is a reply to message #39016] Tue, 12 November 2002 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neo is currently offline  Neo
Baron
Thanks Dave...

I have Pi 4's that I really like. I run 'em with Paramours upgraded with TFA-204 OP transfomers (non-parafeed). I now use the plate choke in the power supply, replacing the 270 ohm resistor. Some discs sound fantastic, others sound better on my SS rig. Paramour's seem to prefer 4 or 5 insturments and female voices.

I can't wait 'til the next meeting. I hope Steve will bring his 8's again. And thanks again for having these gatherings.

Tom

Re: NE Bottleheads, re: Pi 4's vs Straight 8's [message #39037 is a reply to message #39005] Wed, 13 November 2002 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I agree with Dave's comments. If you've followed the notes from the meet, you know that my CH-3 knockoffs run out of gas maybe in the 15k - 16k range, much improved with the wood horns. I think both speakers have good mids etc, but the sound is different and I lack the audiophile-ese to really describe it. East coast vs west coast? There's a pretty big difference in sensitivity and the Delta 15a hits very hard in either the Theater 4 cabinet that I had them in the meet before or the Karlson this time. The Karlson cab seems to have some gain over the Th4 BR, and I've had to change the compensation pad, putting in a big variable L-pad to find the right values.
The Straight 8s have a very sweet, transparent sound, Theater 4s sound like live music and will go silly-loud.
I hope we can get them together again after some tweaks, on an amplifier designed for full range.

John

Re: NE Bottleheads, re: Pi 4's vs Straight 8's [message #39040 is a reply to message #39037] Wed, 13 November 2002 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I have no doubt that we can, and will. There will be a new player on the field when we do. Should be lottsa fun.

What sort of amp did you have in mind, John? I may have paralleled 300B's on hand, and/or paralleled SE 6L6's when we next meet. Either one should rock the house.

BTW, thanks for the Stu2 loan. They're enjoying the 300B's . . .

Sounds good [message #39041 is a reply to message #39040] Wed, 13 November 2002 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Very much looking forward to your new concoction, Dave.

Hope Steve stocks the fridge.

And caulks the windows.

John

Re: Sounds good [message #39044 is a reply to message #39041] Wed, 13 November 2002 11:23 Go to previous message
Master
And checks the foundation and his home owner's insurance for coverage of "acts of the audio gods!"

;-0

Previous Topic: new selenium compression driver: D3300TI
Next Topic: Wayne: Dual configuration for 2 Pi Towers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 27 22:41:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio