Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New specs on eminence drivers?
New specs on eminence drivers? [message #39002] Mon, 11 November 2002 00:30 Go to next message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
Hello Wayne,

i just visited the eminence website, and i noticed that they updated the spec on all their drivers. Now maybe this isn`t news anymore, but i`d like to ask a question. As you maybe still now i own a pair of Kappa lf15`s and two pair of Kappa 12`s.
Now they say the kappa 12 is 450 Watts RMS instead of 400, but more interresting is that they say the Kappa 15lf is now 600 Watts RMS instead of 400. Now is this true?

Did they make new measurements, so that my components apear to be better than i thought, or did they have new manufacturing methodes, so that the components are more heavy?

P.S. do you have nice design for studio monitors for a college of mine? He likes to have monitors for, home use in producing house music.

My email is: erik.schake@grontmij.com

New specs on eminence drivers [message #39008 is a reply to message #39002] Mon, 11 November 2002 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're right, Eminence has changed their specifications. They've procured more accurate measurement systems and they've updated their data. They've built a new measurement chamber and installed a Klippel measurement system, which is the best in the industry.

Eminence has also changed their drivers, so it isn't just the measurements that are different. They have maintained compatibility with earlier models, but they have made improvements that increase power handling. The voice coil manufacturing process has been changed, and so the new drivers are different drivers. Three models of the π Speaker line needed a slight redesign as a result.

The difficult part is knowing which particular motor you have, since there is no part number change to identify it. I think it's a safe assumption that if it has the old label and spec sheet, then it's the old part.

Re: New specs on eminence drivers [message #39025 is a reply to message #39008] Tue, 12 November 2002 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
A quote from Eminences site.

Basically the new models have silver back-labels.

I remember getting some Alpha 8s recently and I saw that label, I think it had a rocket ship on it...

"As a result, power ratings have improved by up to 100% or more in some cases. The Kappa models, once rated at 400W across the board, are now rated at between 450W and 600W. The Alpha models, once rated at 100W, are now rated at between 100W and 200W. The Beta 15 was originally rated at 150W but has been re-engineered for a massive 350W! To recognize these new models, look for their chrome back labels."

Re: New specs on eminence drivers [message #39029 is a reply to message #39025] Tue, 12 November 2002 18:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're right about the labels. Thanks for pointing out the quote on the Eminence website.
Previous Topic: pi's and tubes, why different than sand?
Next Topic: new selenium compression driver: D3300TI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:48:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout