Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Gettin' down to Crossover Cases
Gettin' down to Crossover Cases [message #38886] Wed, 30 October 2002 13:37 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Wayne, your 1602's just got here. They are something else!

Being just a tad impetuous, I'm using them crossoverless with a 1in dome coming in around 2k, "borrowed" from a system that's 94dB/w/m. In doing further reading, I see that folks (Dr. Edgar & others) view the 1602 as more like 94-95.5dB efficient for the range it's likely to be used in, so it's not a bad match just to get "a taste."

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing for the 3-way crossover using the 1602 x-ing over to JBL 2123 @ 300, x-ing over to the Eminence in a Martinelli horn at 3k? Since it's a 3 way using points higher and lower than usual, two drivers not spec'd in the std Pi docs, and the third in a different horn flare, I have no idea what parts of the standard Pi xover docs might or might not apply.

In other words: Duh! Help!

Thanks.

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Maybe you might try posting this over on the Hi E forum as well!(nt) [message #38888 is a reply to message #38886] Wed, 30 October 2002 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
nt
Re: Gettin' down to Crossover Cases [message #38889 is a reply to message #38886] Wed, 30 October 2002 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I recommend 300Hz and 1.6Khz crossover points, and use the π crossover configuration for the tweeter, exactly as on the two-way units. For the 300Hz point, the components used in a passive unit get a bit large, so it might be better to go active. But if you also want the option of using a single amp - and so need a passive unit - I have some suitable units being built right now, so let me know if you're interested. That way, you'll have the option of using the speakers either multi-amped or with a single amp.
Re: Gettin' down to Crossover Cases [message #38890 is a reply to message #38889] Wed, 30 October 2002 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I'm in agreemant with Wayne. I cross my system just a little higher. 400 and 1900. Thats the range though. 300-500; 1.6k-2k
active you can dial it in nice. passive will cost a fortune for a 3way everytime you want to try something new. I would still say that even if ultimately you want a passive, you should start out with an active if you have the amps. this will get you reall close to the final passive components you will need.

Bill

Re: Gettin' down to Crossover Cases [message #38892 is a reply to message #38890] Thu, 31 October 2002 03:59 Go to previous message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Dave, look's like your going to need a pair of Parabees built along with the Pi 4.5's! But then again there are those AN amps laying around...!

G.

Previous Topic: Height for the Pi 4
Next Topic: size, shipping, and pricing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:03:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers