Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Height for the Pi 4
Height for the Pi 4 [message #38860] Mon, 28 October 2002 14:52 Go to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
can anyone tell me what is the best height for the Pi 4, i read that some of you people have install stand or legs?

Zeno

Re: Height for the Pi 4 [message #38861 is a reply to message #38860] Mon, 28 October 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It really depends a lot on the model, listening room and conditions. Usually the larger ones like the Theater Series, I prefer them standing on the ground. The smaller ones like the Professional and Stage Series are better off the ground a little bit, on slightly angled wedge stands, just a few inches tall. This aims them up slightly, but avoids floor bounce by remaining close to the ground. If using subwoofers, you can raise the speakers a little more with stands, because the bass overlap of the mains with the subs smoothes floor bounce and room modes.
Re: Height for the Pi 4 [message #38862 is a reply to message #38860] Mon, 28 October 2002 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laoye is currently offline  laoye
Chancellor
Hi Zeno,

I have a total of one day of listening experience with my newborn (pi 4 pros), so I have more to learn than to offer.

So far, my observations agree with Wayne's advice for these speakers. He is not kidding that you need to be near two room boundaries for this model: even right up against side walls, they sound a little thin raised up a foot from the floor.

In my limited testing, I get the most balanced and open sound if I my ears are on axis vertically with the horn. That means that I must sit on the floor or put the speakers on stands.

On stands, the speakers must go in corners. In that case, you might want to consider the Pi-7s.

I would love to hear from others!

- Ken

Re: chair vrs the ceiling [message #38863 is a reply to message #38860] Mon, 28 October 2002 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Zeno,

I like the sounds best when the centerline between the woofer and the horn is on axis with the ear while seated. I have used the 4pi pro's and they where better for me when on stands or the least, angle back.
The theaters are larger and i've only heard them for short durations while on the floor. maybe this isnt an issue with those or the thermionic's which are very large.

I like the JBL 2226 a lot. this doesnt have gut wrenching lows but it does have clarity. This low distortion can bring music to another level aside from just playing it loud. Ounce I was satified with the new sounds I heard I began to search for some lower frequencies, and that meant bigger drivers to keep inline with the rest of the system.

Experiment. Sometimes you wont notice improvment untill you go backward and notice the loss. listen for a few days with familure material. make a change in speaker position and start listening again. There isnt a lot of science to trial and error. It will familurize yourself with the different affects speaker placemant will have that you cant get from a model or test gear though.

enjoy,

Bill

Re: chair vrs the ceiling [message #38864 is a reply to message #38863] Mon, 28 October 2002 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How about the chair in Terry Southern's "The Magic Christian". The inspiration for putting extra 8" legs on my sofa to improve soundstaging.
If I could only get it to spin!
photo posting [message #38865 is a reply to message #38860] Tue, 29 October 2002 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
Thanks for all the info, I ask is because at the mean time I only have one of this Pi 4 in my home, I can't really do much about it, my wife finally agreed that I can bring the other one home if only I can improve the furnishing and also the port to be located at the side or back so that my children will not hide their toys in it. Anyway I would like to post the photo here for your viewing but really don't know how to do it.

Thanks

Re: photo posting: "...add the whites of 2 eggs to.... [message #38867 is a reply to message #38865] Tue, 29 October 2002 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...Okay, first you have to put the photo someplace on the internet. Geocities, Yahoo, AOL, maybe your ISP gives you a webpage -in-one-easy-lesson or an album site like Tripod (shudder) or HPCartogra.com.
Then foto must be in JPEG format (I know, I know but it's easier). Right click on the foto and look at properties. The location string is there: http:// yada-yada-yada......
Copy that down.
WARNING-WARNING-WARNING
I used ( and ) instead of < and > for the example so the 'puter would'nt think I was doing HTML. You must use < and > where I used ( and ). Comprendo?
Now pre-fix it with: (img src="
Then follow it with: ")
Making sure that the end of the string is: .JPG
So you put in the body of your post:
(img src="http://blahblahblah..... .jpg")
Right click on this foto and see the address string:

My High-Tech Spray Booth!

AHA! Allrighty then [message #38868 is a reply to message #38867] Tue, 29 October 2002 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I've seen posts describing that before but never quite got it.
Hope this works, pic of my next project, not a Pi box, but everything else will be Theater 4.

Inside of front chamber of Karlson K15/X15 hybrid before slot is installed, badly cropped at 5:30 this morning. Shows curved reflector, standoffs, shelf, baffle for the mighty Delta 15a.

Thanks Till!

John

John, Your really smokin' on those things... [message #38869 is a reply to message #38868] Tue, 29 October 2002 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
...Going to be ready for Dave C.'s session next week-end? Love to hear 'em!

G.

Re: John, Your really smokin' on those things... [message #38874 is a reply to message #38869] Tue, 29 October 2002 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Give the poor guy a break, Garland!

Well, um, so whaddya think, John. ;-)

The standoffs remind me of the suction cup arrows cartoon characters used to shoot each other with. The less violent cartoon violence days . . . What gets stood off. (Standed off? Oh the he** with it!) The filter/vent/port upside down V-thing?
Keep your ears and your mind open.

Previous Topic: ...one more time....Now Playing, 2Pi's
Next Topic: Gettin' down to Crossover Cases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:22:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers