Home » Audio » General » musical instrument construction kits?
musical instrument construction kits? [message #3841] Fri, 20 October 2006 03:33 Go to next message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
Since its coming up towards gift giving time, I was wondering if anyone ever had any experience with htose woodenbuild yourownfidle, dulcimer, guitar kits?

julie

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3846 is a reply to message #3841] Fri, 20 October 2006 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd check with Hurdy Gurdyman (banjos, hurdy gurdies and similar instruments), Paul C (saxophones and reed wind instruments) and Shane (guitars). I'm sure there are others here but those three guys come to mind.

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3848 is a reply to message #3841] Sat, 21 October 2006 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Any particular brand or type of instrument you are interested in? Kits are available for many instruments and at different price and skill levels. Insructions and blueprints for scratch building are also available. It's to wide of a field to comment much on without narrowing it down a bit.

Dave

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3867 is a reply to message #3848] Wed, 25 October 2006 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I neverrealized that it was that vast.
I am kind looking for a balalyka, dulcimer, that vulcan lookinh lap harp, fiddle,

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3868 is a reply to message #3846] Wed, 25 October 2006 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
are there kits for a PAn Flute?
I am trying to get the ancientinstruments....

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3875 is a reply to message #3867] Wed, 25 October 2006 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's a couple of kit companies I have a bit of knowledge of. I haven't built any of these kits, but know people who have and have seen the finished kits.

http://www.musikit.com/

http://www.larkinam.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_110

The book, Homegrown Music by Marc Bristol, is worth finding. It contains plans and instructions for building several diffent instruments. The instruments are simplified but fully functional. This is the book that got me started building my own. By building from scratch, you save money and have the wonderful feeling (and bragging rights) of having done it all yourself. Modding is eisier on a scratchbuilt instrument for a custom instrument.
Here's a link I found to one copy for sale. It's a book from the 70's, so may not be easy to locate at any given time. Check your local library as well.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&y=6&kn=musical+instruments&tn=Homegrown+Music&x=81

Whichever way you go, building your own is fun and highly rewarding. Remember, it's just wood. Cutting, fitting and gluing is no harder than building a speaker box, just smaller. If you can cut a small drawn pattern and sand it and glue it, you can build a wooden instrument.

Dave

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3876 is a reply to message #3868] Wed, 25 October 2006 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The book I mentioned above has a pan flute in it.

Dave

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3885 is a reply to message #3876] Thu, 26 October 2006 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you......
I am an ethnography student and part of my Thesis is to create a whoel array of traditional items this will be a big help!

julie

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3887 is a reply to message #3885] Fri, 27 October 2006 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Julie,

Here's another site you should look at. I have built a few sets of his PVC bagpipes. A lot of ideas here.

http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/

Dave

Re: musical instrument construction kits? [message #3894 is a reply to message #3887] Sun, 29 October 2006 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
this one should be a fun project for my daughter and I to do together!

Previous Topic: Magnetic Engines
Next Topic: cleveland swap meet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:28:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout