Home » Audio » General » Rocky Mountain AudioFest
Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3837] Tue, 17 October 2006 20:17 Go to next message
footsurg is currently offline  footsurg
Chancellor
Anybody from the Great Plains Audio Club headed to Denver this weekend for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest?

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3838 is a reply to message #3837] Wed, 18 October 2006 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is it this weekedn, already? Damn..wish i had known...but probably not have been able to make it anyways. If you do go, please do et us know what you liked.
-akhilesh

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3839 is a reply to message #3838] Wed, 18 October 2006 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
akhilesh,

I am leaving on Friday afternoon and plan to attend all day on Sat and Sun. Was hoping there might be a few GPAC members going as well. I will be sure to take lots of pictures and share them when I return. There are going to be over 300 rooms of audio and I am being told that almost a third of it will be cored by SET's.

Mark

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3840 is a reply to message #3839] Wed, 18 October 2006 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Mark,
I'd love to go, but duty calls!
300 rooms...jeeze sounds like a smorgasbord! 100 SETs....cool!
PLease take pics, and record your impressions.. the next time wemeet i'd love to hear what impressed you.
-akhilesh

Re: No need, best sound is in my living room [message #3842 is a reply to message #3837] Fri, 20 October 2006 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The 'Simple 45' amplifier Steve Brown and I built is the best-sounding here, Denver, or anywhere. It's a direct-coupled,CCS driven, parafeed design found here:

Simple 45

with a few additions to the circuit by Steve.

Temporarily, it resides in this plywood case:

See the "Group Build" Forum for our respective contributions

Ever since I heard the Yamamoto at Speakerman's house I knew I wanted that 45 tube sound. Soon after, I built the
Welborne DRD 45 which was a huge disappointment. Then I had the KR Audio VA 340 with it's 300B XLS tubes in for review and that was forgotten. I became interested again after the KR went back and came across the Simple 45 design by John Tucker and maybe, only when presented in a positive light, (hee-hee) Doc Bottlehead. I showed it to Steve and he was impressed so I opened my wallet.

It's powered by a Hammond 373BX with 5965 drivers. All the signal path is silver wired and has Audio Note tantalum resistors.

The power supply includes the constant current source and, a little of the Evil Dr. Brown's secret sauce DC to the filaments that made for extremely low hum. Behind the drivers are JJ electrolytics; under the powder coated chassis are a pair of Hammond filter chokes and a big Solen cap.

The output stage features Magnequest EXO-03 plate chokes, Obbligato oil parafeed caps and Magnequest Robin Hood parafeed output transformers.

The bias meters, suggested by Steve, are a nice touch, don't you think?

That all-important first impression is of incredible detail and ultra-tight bass control. You hear all that audiophile stuff like fingers-on-strings, the bodies of guitars, violins and cellos, the column of air pushing through reeds and clear tones of the deepest bass instruments. Voices are just sooo natural.

None of these details exist by themselves, however. They become a part of a whole that invites you to just listen to the music.

We played it through 100dB efficient open baffles and a pair of mid-90's sealed boxes. No compression or strain. Now, back at my house, I have it driving the 1812's direct through a Goldpoint attenuator to room-filling levels with ease.

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3843 is a reply to message #3840] Fri, 20 October 2006 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Akhilesh,

I looked at it again. Its actually around 100 rooms and 300 different brands, Sorry for the confusion.

Mark

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3844 is a reply to message #3843] Fri, 20 October 2006 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Still a lot, MArk. I am looking to forward to hearing from you on what impressed you there.
-akhilesh

Re: No need, best sound is in my living room [message #3845 is a reply to message #3842] Fri, 20 October 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Nice work, Bill and Steve. I do like those meters, they give a nice retro look. What value the bias voltage? Is it rectified DC or battery? Or is it a DC offset AC? I am anxious to see the amp in your finished case!

Re: No need, best sound is in my living room [message #3847 is a reply to message #3845] Fri, 20 October 2006 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
The driver is biased for 10ma, and the output is set at about 38ma. The heaters on both are AC, with some DC offset on the input tube. Direct coupled, with the plate of the driver at about 150v. The CCS is a simple one-MOSFET arrangement, ultra simple. Bill implemented a dual mono supply which, I'm sure, helps tighten the bass.

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3849 is a reply to message #3837] Sun, 22 October 2006 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just returned from the RMAF this evening. I took a bunch of pictures which I'll try to post tomorrow. As I expected, the megabuck stuff sounded really good, but almost all of my pictures are of the affordable non-mainstream sellers' equipment (GR Research, Salk Sound, Selah Audio, Hagerman, RAW Acoustics, Silver Circle, Van Alstine, Odyssey, Dodd, etc etc). I'll try to caption and post them tomorrow.

Previous Topic: Rocky Mountain Audiofest: This visitor's thoughts
Next Topic: Vinyl Garage Sale. Richardson, Texas Nov 3,4,5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 08:08:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout