Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help! I'm looking for crossover suggestions for JBL 2445/2446 compression drivers!
Help! I'm looking for crossover suggestions for JBL 2445/2446 compression drivers! [message #38369] Thu, 19 September 2002 07:01 Go to next message
Mikey is currently offline  Mikey
Chancellor
Hi everyone!

I'm starting to research my winter loudspeaker project, and I've decided on a two-way high efficiency design. The woofer will be a 15" unit (TBD), and the compression driver will be a JBL 2445H/J or 2446H/J, most likely mated to a JBL 2380 or 2382 horn.

I'd like to cross the system at 500-600 Hz, and I'm looking for suggestions for a passive crossover for this compression driver / horn combo. I realize I will have to apply some EQ to obtain flat response up to 20KHz.

So my questions are:

Are there any commercial JBL products which utilize this driver / horn combination at this crossover frequency?

If so, where can I obtain the schematic for the crossover?

If not, has anyone [ Wayne, this means you :-) ] got any ideas where I could start with this design?

Thanks in advance,

Mikey

You've got mail! [message #38371 is a reply to message #38369] Thu, 19 September 2002 11:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've sent you schematics for several versions of the π Crossover, for 500Hz, 600Hz, 800Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.2kHz and 1.6kHz. Each has response that's specifically tailored for use with horns such as yours, having flat response for the tweeter horn from crossover up to mass rolloff, and then rising response after that.

For two inch exit drivers, I recommend the 500Hz, 600Hz and 800Hz versions, because high frequency compensation comes in sooner, as is appropriate for 2" drivers. The 1.0kHz, 1.2kHz and 1.6kHz crossovers are designed to work well with 1" units. Those are better for DI-matched two-ways, as you can expect 12" and 15" woofers to have similar horizontal coverage to 90x40 horns when crossover is made in this frequency range.

You may also be interested in the π Crossover Spice Analysis document. It shows Spice analysis of these crossovers and other similar units, and it shows their response curves and other useful information. I did not send this by E-Mail, but you can download it if you wish. It's a couple of megabytes, so it may take a few minutes to download.

Previous Topic: Is They Is Or Is They Ain't Horns
Next Topic: Two Pi inductors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 16:05:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout