Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » alpha 10A frequency response
alpha 10A frequency response [message #38310] Tue, 17 September 2002 05:48 Go to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
I've just received my order of Alpha 10s. Thanks Wayne for shipping
them out promptly. I looked at the spec sheet and although the print
quality is poor, it looks like there is a noticable 'bump' in frequency response starting around 2k going out till 4k. This graph does not resemble at all the one shown
at Eminence web site for the Alpha 10 where the response is ruler flat. Does anyone know if the spec for the Alpha 10 has changed? If so would this render the part unusable for the Studio 2 pi's?

Re: alpha 10A frequency response [message #38327 is a reply to message #38310] Wed, 18 September 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Eminence has changed the Alpha 10 and some of its other drivers recently. They've changed the voice coil to make them handle more power and while they've kept electro-mechanical specs pretty similar, there have been some minor changes. In the case of the Alpha 10, power handling and ultimately maximum output has been increased but there is a rise in the upper midrange as a result.

The way we're addressing this is to include a 0.5mH coil as a pseudo-first-order filter to create a shelf of reduced energy between 1kHz and 4kHz. The response curve you can expect from a 0.5mH coil in series with an Alpha 10 is shown below.

Pseudo-first-order 0.5mH in series with Alpha 10

Re: alpha 10A frequency response [message #38328 is a reply to message #38327] Wed, 18 September 2002 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Rose is currently offline  Chris Rose
Esquire
Gentlemen,

Indeed, I am sorry that our periodic changes in performance data at Eminence lend to occassional confusion. This is certainly not ever our intention.

Most manufacturers feel comfortable publishing the same data for years and years without ever considering that changes in components, vendors, and manufacturering techniques have changed the performance of a particular item.

In this case, we just did a complete review of all our published data and power handling capabilities for the reasons I listed above. In addition, we knew that there were some anomolies in our curves caused by our anechoic chamber that needed correction as well as some significant improvements in our voice coil manufacturing techniques that would result in improved power handling. The spec sheets that we put in the products were updated about a month ago, our website with the new data was uploaded yesterday, and our new catalog will be distributed sometime in October.

As you can imagine, the logistics of informing thousands of customers about such changes can be difficult.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Please contact me directly at chris.rose@eminence.com if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Chris Rose
Eminence

Re: alpha 10A frequency response [message #38331 is a reply to message #38328] Wed, 18 September 2002 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
So how do I know if my speakers are old or new? When was the change made?
Re: alpha 10A frequency response [message #38337 is a reply to message #38331] Wed, 18 September 2002 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The new speakers have a silver label on the magnet, so that's how you can identify them.
Re: alpha 10A frequency response [message #38340 is a reply to message #38337] Wed, 18 September 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne,

I just made some 2Pi's, and am in the process of making some 1Pi's. I love the way the 2Pi's sound, so I'm not going to worry about this. However, I hope that at some point you or others will comment on the inductor and whatever else may be helpful, and let us know if they are worth retrofitting based on actual listening. I don't mind an improvement if it's real world, but you can't listen to a spec sheet.

Matts

Re: alpha 10A frequency response [message #38342 is a reply to message #38340] Wed, 18 September 2002 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The coil is only used with speakers having the silver label. If you have the earlier model, you don't need it.
Who could forget the "live, naked resistors"? [message #38350 is a reply to message #38342] Wed, 18 September 2002 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

So how, with full-color illustrated instructions does one install the inductormobile thingy?

Re: Who could forget the "live, naked resistors"? [message #38353 is a reply to message #38350] Wed, 18 September 2002 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The coil is now included with kits, so nothing else is needed. If you're doing your own, just install a 0.5mH coil in series with the woofer. Cut one of the wires going to the woofer and splice the coil in, covering the leads with heat shrink tubing.

The coil should use 20 guage or larger wire, which will result in less than 0.5 ohms DC resistance. A suitable part is the 260-723.This part has 0.5 ohms DC resistance, so the woofer's Qes is only raised by 0.03. The difference in overall system Q is small, so it works pretty well.

since you mentioned Qes and R [message #38357 is a reply to message #38353] Wed, 18 September 2002 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
I thought I would ask about how significant that 0.5 ohm dcr might be. My sansui 5000a has a damping switch on the rear. The two settings give either 50 or 15 for the Df using an 8 ohm load. And all the switch really does is...tada!, add a 0.3 ohm resistor in line with the speaker output.
Maybe because the output is via a bigasscap(2200uF), but these specs show that 0.3 ohms added resistance cuts the Df in this instance by 2/3's. Doesn't that represent a reduction in the amps ability to control the motor? Sam

Previous Topic: Studio 1 pi plans
Next Topic: Is They Is Or Is They Ain't Horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:43:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout