Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three Pi as center and surround speakers?
Three Pi as center and surround speakers? [message #38015] Fri, 23 August 2002 09:14 Go to next message
neriks is currently offline  neriks
Esquire
Mr. Parham,

I'm currently in progress of building a large loudspeaker system for my home theater consisting entirely of JBL pro components. The front speakers are built as a three-way system and uses the following components (see the picture above ...)

- LF: Two JBL 2242H
- MF: One JBL 2226H
- HF: One JBL 2446H

The system really sounds terrific accept for the center speaker* and the surround speakers** currently used. Neither the center speaker nor the surround speakers are close to match the performance of the front speakers :-( Simply put, I need to build myself a new center speaker and new surround speakers!

I have been looking at the Pi speakers for some while and I must admit that I'm a little bit intrigued to use the three-Pi (professional series) as center speaker and surround speakers in my system :-) However I'm not sure whether the three-Pi's are too large for my system. What's you opinion on this, Wayne? Is it overkill to use three-Pi speakers for the center and surround channels in a home theater like mine?

Sincerely,

neriks

* center speaker - JBL SVA Center
** surround speakers - JBL SVA 1600

Re: Three Pi as center and surround speakers? [message #38020 is a reply to message #38015] Fri, 23 August 2002 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Professional Series three π Speakers are quite small. They may work nicely for you.

Your system really looks great, by the way! Really, really super!!!

Re: Three Pi as center and surround speakers? [message #38023 is a reply to message #38020] Fri, 23 August 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Mr. Parham,

Thanks for the quick answer! Can I use the JBL 2226H instead of the 2227H in a professional series four Pi speaker? The reason why I'm asking is that I have some brand new 2226H's, which I'm not using.

What kind of HF horn is used with the 2426 driver? I will probably build some wooden horns, which are similar to the ones used in the professional series four Pi speakers. I want wooden horns in the four Pi speakers since I want them to match the wooden horns of my front speakers.

Could you please e-mail me a copy of the plans and crossover circuits for the professional series three- and four Pi speakers?

Thanks again, sir!

neriks

You lucky son of a... [message #38026 is a reply to message #38015] Fri, 23 August 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
That's going to be one very nice surround system. Actually, it already is. You should definitely post some pictures of the complete setup.

Kevin

Re: You lucky son of a... [message #38027 is a reply to message #38026] Fri, 23 August 2002 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Kevin :-) !

I'll be happy to post some pictures eventually when the system is complete ... whenever that might be?

You've got mail! [message #38028 is a reply to message #38023] Fri, 23 August 2002 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow nice set-up!! nt. [message #38032 is a reply to message #38015] Fri, 23 August 2002 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
nt
who built your horns? (nt) [message #38033 is a reply to message #38015] Fri, 23 August 2002 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis is currently offline  Curtis
Esquire

Re: who built your horns? (nt) [message #38035 is a reply to message #38033] Fri, 23 August 2002 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
curtis,

The horns are built by me actually ... The design is a slightly modified version of the 300 Hz horn you find behind the following link ...

Re: who built your horns? (nt) [message #38044 is a reply to message #38035] Sat, 24 August 2002 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Nice looking horns. how many hours to build a pair?
Previous Topic: I've changed my mind
Next Topic: Are the 2Pi symmetrical or identical?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:22:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio