Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Who is close to Omaha, Nebraska
Who is close to Omaha, Nebraska [message #37925] Wed, 21 August 2002 07:46 Go to next message
D. Kurfman is currently offline  D. Kurfman
Chancellor
They had a party on the lawn here at work last week using a pair of JBL MR series speakers with the 2370 horns. There was some clipping, and the horn was set for +2db of boost, which didn't help, and the overall effect was of nasty, harsh, spitty sound. Then I went to a wedding Saturday and at the reception the DJ had some JBL Eon speakers. Much smoother, but fat on the bottom and edgy on top.

So, I grabbed my Diana Krall CD and went to the local JBL dealer and listened to the JBL SR 4722x which uses the 2206 lf and the new OASR horn for the highs. Probably better highs than either of the others, but still gritty sounding, and with a kind of hooty low mid that left the sound vague and indistinct. Tried the SRX 4733 which I expected to sound terrific. This has the 2" throat horn with a 2447 driver and two 2226 lf transducers. A huge open sound that was nice, but boomy on the bottom, a bit of grit on the top, and something I can only describe as an ack sound on the mids. Maybe this is the "quack" DJK has mentioned as an attribute of the 2380 horns. So, then on to the MP 410, 412, and 415. These all use a variant of the OASR conical horn. The 12 sounded thin, the 15 was overly warm with some boom, the 10 actually sound fairly accurate. However, the sound still seemed hard edged in a way I don't recall the Klipsch speakers I have heard sounding. Certainly not the best amps for hi fi, but I don't think they "ruined" the sound that much, the speaker predominating. I went over to the local Klipsch dealer and listened to the largest Klipsch reference speaker they had, the RF 5, which has the 2 8" drivers and the 8" tractrix horn. These were sweet and detailed with no edge whatsoever. Maybe not even up-front enough. Sounded like they had a little dip to soften the sound. [ What really stinks is the dealer is dropping the line after 20 years. Klipsch is selling to the local audio supermart mass merchandiser now, and that kills it for the serious audio retailer. What a shame.]

Anyhow, is there anyone around Omaha that has 3pi or 4pi speakers they would be willing to let me here, either with the Emminence or JBL driver? I'm really like to get a better handle on the sound. Thanks!

Dan

I'm in Omaha [message #37959 is a reply to message #37925] Thu, 22 August 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Dan,
I'm actually out by Emanuel Hospital, if you know where that is. I'm running a pair of Theater 4 Pi's with the Eminence drivers. By all means, send me an e-mail, and we can see about an audition. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Kevin
Theater 4 Pi Speakers

Re: I'm in Omaha [message #37968 is a reply to message #37959] Thu, 22 August 2002 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Looks like I need to register in order to send you an email. Let me get that taken care of and I will follow up. I sure would appreciate the opportunity. I see you use NAD gear in your one system. That was my primary gear until I went the home theater route. I'm still hanging on to it and using it for odds and ends.

Do you mean the Immanuel center up north on 72nd street? I've been up that way a few times to see a doctor. I work at 72nd and Pacific, and live out in Millard.

Can I bring a bottle of wine as a gift for you and your wife if we can put this together? I'd consider it a priviledge. I'll follow up with you off-line just as soon as I can get the registration square. Hopefully tonight since I gave my home email and I am at work right now.

Best regards,

Dan

4 Pi Speakers are gorgeous [message #37970 is a reply to message #37959] Thu, 22 August 2002 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Just visited your home page. Those are drop dead gorgeous speakers, and perfect for the room. Very impressive work!

Dan

I'll be waiting for your e-mail... [message #38004 is a reply to message #37925] Thu, 22 August 2002 17:52 Go to previous message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Immanuel... That's it. I drive by all the time, yet I never really look at the name. It'd be great to have you over. Bring over your own electronics, if you like. Let me know.

Kevin

Previous Topic: 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement question.
Next Topic: horn lenses
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:56:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout