Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement question.
2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement question. [message #37940] Wed, 21 August 2002 15:00 Go to next message
yata is currently offline  yata
Esquire
Hi!

I'm interested in the 2 Pi's or 1 Pi's due to their great price. I plan to buy them built, even though kits are cheaper. You can persuade me to build the kit too, but I have to soldering or woodworking experience...

Anyways, are these Studio series ported in the back? I plan to place them on shelves and mate them with a 8W tube integrated.

Thanks.

2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement answer [message #37941 is a reply to message #37940] Wed, 21 August 2002 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The one π and two π speakers have the port in the front. The new two π tower has the port in the back. The two π tower is 46" tall, 16" wide and 13" deep. It's based on the same components as the very popular original two π speaker, but its height places the radiators at ear level without a stand. It also has a bit deeper bass extension, due to the larger cabinet volume.
Re: 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement answer [message #37944 is a reply to message #37941] Wed, 21 August 2002 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DSM is currently offline  DSM
Esquire
Wayne:

A 2 Pi Tower! Looking at the frequency plots I've fudged together, it seems that a larger enclosure would *really* benefit the Alpha-10.

Could you send me a copy of these plans?

I've been lurking here for a while and have really enjoyed getting my mind back into the speaker building hobby mode. My primary speakers have been a pair of SpeakerLab 7's that I built the cabs for 25 years ago (if you're not familiar, they have 10" and 12" bass in parallel, compression horn mid crossed at 700, and compression horn tweet crossed at 5000, all stuffed in a 3.5 cu. ft. sealed box). I've absolutely loved these speakers, and am a huge fan of the using horns for mid-highs. Looks like they've come a long way in squeezing more range out of compression horns lately, and I'll dream of building a set 4's in the future.

For now, the awesome low price of the 2's has my attention. My brother needs some speakers, and if these sound as I'm thinking they will, I'll build 'em for him for a X-mas present. Back in the day (25 years ago), all the cheap pizzos I listened to where much too harsh, but it seems like they've come a long way in this area too.

I also want to thank you for all of the excellent material you provide on your site, and the great information provided in this forum.

Dave

Re: 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement answer [message #37945 is a reply to message #37941] Wed, 21 August 2002 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master

Good news for me Wayne, I will be interested in it when it comes available. Thanks

Re: 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement answer [message #37946 is a reply to message #37941] Wed, 21 August 2002 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I saw a "shelf" at Home Depot tonight that was 3/4 in. MDF and came in a 16" X 48" size. If you can keep the 16" width exact, that's EZ construction for the front and back!
You've got mail! [message #37950 is a reply to message #37946] Thu, 22 August 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's exactly 16" wide, so that's cool. I've sent you a copy of the plans, so check your E-Mail.

Tower two π plans available now [message #37951 is a reply to message #37945] Thu, 22 August 2002 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The plans are available now; Send me your E-Mail address and I'll forward them to you.

You've got mail! [message #37952 is a reply to message #37944] Thu, 22 August 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Tower two π plans available now [message #37953 is a reply to message #37951] Thu, 22 August 2002 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
Wayne, do these speakers have sufficiant low-end to be used without sub-woofers? I really like the small One Pi speakers but they really need to be on stands in the corners and the bass is not really low enough in my room (3.7x5.1m with speakers along the short wall).

Would these be a solution for me that would work well without stands and all and that won´t have to stand in the corners (it's annoying because the ceiling is angled in a strange way being only about 1,6m from the floor where the left speaker is) to work optimal?

/Erik

Re: 2 Pi and 1 Pi closeness to wall placement answer [message #37954 is a reply to message #37941] Thu, 22 August 2002 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
vladimir4 is currently offline  vladimir4
Chancellor
hi Wayne,

my own 2Pi tower real-wood is almost finished, but I kept the
original volume (42 l). Could you send me your new design of
tower-2Pi ?
In your opinion, what's the maximal "reasonable" volume for
Alpha10 in aspect to not deteriorate much the midrange quality?

TIA,
vladimir

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Speaker Plans
Next Topic: Who is close to Omaha, Nebraska
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:20:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers