Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » photo of theater 4 pi's
photo of theater 4 pi's [message #37807] Thu, 15 August 2002 06:59 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
just completed for a local musician. cabinets are cnc'd 3/4" mdf finished in a flat black textured varnish.( feels like sandpaper to the touch ). i used the delta pro woofer with the eminence h290. big soundstage, sound big even at lower volumes. tons of detail with a crisp top end. wayne, several others have mentioned about the lack of low end from these speakers and i have to agree. they are a little thin below 60hz. my premium stage 4 pi's have a much fuller bottom end yet your spec sheet shows the theater's response down to 25hz. i would think with the larger cabinet these would sound fuller. what gives? jazz recordings sound fine, but on pop and rock i think the bass is somewhat lacking. played with a powered sub the sound is rounded out. anyways, great articulate sound and i only had to make 3 tweeter assembly's to get the sound right.

cheers,

george

Re: photo of theater 4 pi's [message #37810 is a reply to message #37807] Thu, 15 August 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
just read the response to trancemiter's post. i had theater (delta) and premium stage (kilomax) and loved both but the kilomax definitely hit harder on the low end. disconnected the 15w push-pull and hooked up my advent 300 receiver. more bass now ( but i still want more! ) and i think it sounds better than the tube amp!

cheers,

george

Response of various four π speakers [message #37811 is a reply to message #37810] Thu, 15 August 2002 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I tend to agree with you, that the more powerful woofers sound, well, more powerful. The Deltas have rising response into the midrange, like most other high efficiency wide range speakers. The Professional and Stage Series speakers don't have nearly this rising response and they also have a smoother response curve in the bottom octaves, because the Professional and Stage Series offerings are slightly overdamped.

Each of these sound good without subs, but all can benefit by having them. It's always good to have more bass sound sources indoors, as it serves to smooth room modes in addition to adding LF extension.

Great job! [message #37813 is a reply to message #37807] Thu, 15 August 2002 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Man, that speaker really looks great. I'm gonna save a copy of your image file and I hope Danny get's a chance to put it on his site as well.
Re: photo of theater 4 pi's [message #37817 is a reply to message #37807] Thu, 15 August 2002 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Hi George,

These cabinets certainly look good! What dimensions are they? How big and how long is the port? Did I understand you correctly in that you used the Delta PRO 15 on these?

I just ran the numbers in Boxplot for the Delta Pro 15. At best they'll go down to around 40 Hz with a 8.5 cubic foot cabinet tuned to 42 Hz. I'll be able to tell you what your box and port do once you give me the numbers for your cabinet including wall thickness. I suspect that this driver isn't going to deliver the kind of bass you're used to from your Kilomax 15. Its a different animal with quite different specs.

One other thing to consider - room acoustics. Walls appear to be brick from the picture, which will likely bring out the highs allot more from all the reflections off the walls. Also, are these situated in a basement, perhaps on a concrete floor covered with thin carpeting? I'd be willing to bet that if they were parked on the floor of a different room on the main or upstairs floors, you'll notice quite a difference in the bass. Don't ask me to explain it... I'm no master of physics. But I do know the profound effect that the resonances of wood floors have on the sound of my Premium Stage Four Pis and also on the bass drum of my drumset!

Regards,
Colin

Response curves of the big π's [message #37820 is a reply to message #37817] Thu, 15 August 2002 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Delta 15 used in Theater Series four π Speakers really needs a large box, and even with that, they tend to have rising response into the midrange. The bass is clean and full, but many people still like to augment them with a sub.

I think George built his exactly as the plans indicate, and if not then perhaps he'll correct me. But the plans for Theater Series four π Speakers show a 4" diameter port that's 3.5" long. The intended port material has 0.080" wall thickness, and that's what is included with the kits. This makes the actual port diameter be 3.84", and system tuning is therefore 23Hz. Response is shown below:

Response of Theater Series four π Speaker

The Stage and Premium Stage Series speakers share the same cabinets with their Professonal Series counterparts. Here are the response curves for the Stage and Premium Stage speakers:

Response of Stage Series four π Speaker

Response of Premium Stage Series four π Speaker

Just for those that are unfamiliar, π Theater Series use Eminence Delta parts, Stage Series use Omega's and Premium Stage Series use Kilomax components.

Re: photo of theater 4 pi's [message #37822 is a reply to message #37810] Fri, 16 August 2002 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I actually got a couple people who e-mailed me directly saying they gave up on flea power and went with 200-300W also. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try.

Kevin

hi colin, [message #37823 is a reply to message #37817] Fri, 16 August 2002 04:37 Go to previous message
Grand Master
the cabinet's are built exactly to wayne's plans and the port is 4" round and 3.5" deep. i used the delta pro because i had them and based upon previous conversation with wayne and till they would offer simililar performance in that cabinet. yes, the floor is concrete and the back wall is brick. side walls are drywall. at home my kilomax 4 pi's are on the first floor of my house. carpet over hardwood. i have tons of bass!

cheers,

george

Previous Topic: Conversion
Next Topic: theater four pi's finished (longish)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:34:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio