Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » theater four pi's finished (longish)
theater four pi's finished (longish) [message #37808] Thu, 15 August 2002 07:39 Go to next message
jtsjf is currently offline  jtsjf
Chancellor
Hi Folks,

I just finished up a set of 4pi's and wanted to thank ya'll for your help.
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting- 'my name is Jason, and I'm an audioholic'.
Thanks to all who post on here- I've learned a lot about speakers and speaker construction. Very cool stuff. A couple of posts and websites were invaluable in putting these things together:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/2873.html
another on compensation networks that I lost...
pics of other's projects helps too:
http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/4Pi.html
http://dsb.8m.com/pipics/pipics.htm (except for the pop-up ads, grr)
When I first bought these kits, my wife, Sonya, was on a trip. When she came back, and there were boxes all over the living room floor, we had a discussion.
'hi babe, I got another project'
'oh.......that's nice'

A couple of comments on construction-
anyone can make a set if you have patience, a steady hand and a minimum of tools. Remember the adage 'measure twice, cut once.' Ask me how I know.
Get your significant other to participate- that way, they also belong to her (or him...or them).
I finished the first speaker (without damping) sometime last week, listened for awhile and sent Wayne an email saying it sounded about as good or better than my current speakers (paradigm ref. 60's). It was a compliment. Really.

Now they're both finished (construction, damping, etc, but not veneered). I plugged them in on sunday and have been listening to them since.
They are BIG. They take up vast tracts of real estate in my living room. I have cattle grazing on one of them. They have their own climate systems. BIG BIG BIG. Big speakers, big sound. They fill the room completely (figuratively and literally). But it's also very articulate, dynamic and neutral sound. Waaay better than the paradigms. I did the pepsi challenge on them, and the paradigms are now television speakers. My room is kind of small (8' X 11') and not well suited for audio (old concrete stucco walls), but good gosh it's a pleasure to listen to music. They get a tad bright at louder listening levels, but that's probably partially due to the room, and partially due to the newness of the speakers. I have them flush against the back wall in the corners, tipped up about 3/4". There's thunderous bass against both walls, but it's considerably weaker toward the center of the room. They don't sound as good if they are out in the middle of the room- too bright. But as they are, they sound marvelous. Symphonic, blues, jazz...it's all good. Heck I even played some Kraftwerk on them, and it was terrific. And Charlie Musselwhite? Oi, that rocks.
These speakers will work with any flea-powered amp; I've got mine hooked up via a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and Opera Audio/DIYcable 'Billie' amps (also excellent DIY projects- highly recommended). I can only go about a third up in volume before they drive me out of the room. Did I say they sounded good? Sonya likes them as much as I do (so much for the WAF nonsense I read about). I don't know if they'll ever get veneer now...

Thanks again to Wayne and all those who post to this forum.

Cheers,
Jason

have Sonya pick out some wall hangings [message #37809 is a reply to message #37808] Thu, 15 August 2002 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
to improve the room a bit. The problem of being a "tad bright" may be from your previous references, or the room is too hard, letting excess HF energy reach the listener.
You can always(wayne, close your eyes) change the HF comp bypass cap to the next lower value:) Part of the DIY benefit is tailoring the final product to YOUR system requirements sometimes. Sam
Super! [message #37812 is a reply to message #37808] Thu, 15 August 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
"We're glad you're here. Keep coming back."
Re: have Sonya pick out some wall hangings [message #37825 is a reply to message #37809] Fri, 16 August 2002 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtsjf is currently offline  jtsjf
Chancellor
Good points, Sam.
I did put up a persian rug that one of my student's brought me as a gift (one of the few perks of education). It even looks cool in the room.
I'll consider changing the HF caps, but I'd rather let it go for now. I want to see how they settle in. Besides, I have a few mods to make on the Billies.

Wayne, I'll post some pictures when they are really done. My only (weak!) contribution is to bevel the port, instead of having it just a cylinder. The fronts are painted black, so I'll need to write you Wayne about getting a set of silver or white decals. How much are they?
BTW, tthe port is an excellent application for polyurethane glue. Since it swells up, it fills any cracks.

Cheers,
Jason

Re: have Sonya pick out some wall hangings [message #37832 is a reply to message #37825] Fri, 16 August 2002 10:35 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Send me an E-Mail to remind me that you want logo decals, include your address and I'll mail you some silver ones.
Previous Topic: photo of theater 4 pi's
Next Topic: converting port size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 20:18:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout