Home » Audio » General » Breaking in New Drivers
Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3774 is a reply to message #3772] Tue, 19 September 2006 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I for one have been taught what a 60Hz tone sounds like because I'm exposed to it everytime I listen to my stereo system. Damn ground loop!

Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3775 is a reply to message #3773] Tue, 19 September 2006 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I would assume even a non-western scale has to be made up of a note vibrating at a constant freq. That would be the pitch right?

Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3776 is a reply to message #3775] Tue, 19 September 2006 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The ratios between adjacent notes is different in different scales.

Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3777 is a reply to message #3775] Tue, 19 September 2006 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geaugafletcher is currently offline  geaugafletcher
Chancellor
"I would assume even a non-western scale has to be made up of a note vibrating at a constant freq. That would be the pitch right?"

Yup, but I've never met anybody from another culture with pitch. The point really was that p.p. is not present from birth, but learned. It's just that some people _are_ born with some faculties that make memorizing pitches essentially automatic.

The concept of a 'scale' is very different in some cultures - but that vague statement is about the limit of my ethnomusicology understanding. In middle eastern music, what you might call scales are really more like culturally-standardized jazz riffs. They also use quarter tones - half sharp, half flat, that kind of thing.

Oh yeah, one more question - do all people with pitch use A = 440hz as their standard? Can they calibrate their sense to 442, 438, etc?

Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3778 is a reply to message #3776] Tue, 19 September 2006 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Perfect example; the Blues pentatonic scale. The old guys flatted the third and seventh to get an approximation of African scales. But I am not sure perfect pitch is dependant on a particular ethnic musical scale. I think it is something different.
If you decide to make all your music in the mixolidean mode that shouldn't mean someone with perfect pitch no longer could distinquish notes.
Then again I don't have perfect pitch so I really can't say.
Ask a good piano tuner.

Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3779 is a reply to message #3778] Tue, 19 September 2006 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geaugafletcher is currently offline  geaugafletcher
Chancellor
Yeah, with perfect pitch, a person associates a certain frequency with a certain note name. Most used example: A above middle C is 440 cycles per second.

Modes, scales with intervals larger than a second, etc. don't matter - but quarter tones would.

Re: Breaking in New Drivers [message #3780 is a reply to message #3754] Wed, 20 September 2006 18:31 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think the Maggies I owned may be an exception. Out of the box they sounded like crap. They were as bad as I've ever heard. It was a week or two of constant playing before I could even sit down and listen for more than a few minutes. When they finally settled down, they were very nice.

I really wanted to send them back after the initial listen (and well before the free trial period expired) but I'm glad I kept them. I really don't believe there was any psychoacoustics involved.....C

Previous Topic: Hey MB, why guitar players know what sounds good
Next Topic: iPod car speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:22:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout