Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs?
anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs? [message #37738] Fri, 09 August 2002 09:27 Go to next message
BWM is currently offline  BWM
Esquire

I'd like to hear from people that own the 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional, with all-JBL drivers.

How does it sound?
Are the JBLs worth the extra cost over the 4 Pi Theatre version with Eminence drivers?

I'm interested in the smaller 4 Pi cabinet with the 15" woofer, 100 dB sensitivity, for use with 8 watt SET. Want smooooooth highs. Will be using a sub to fill in the lower end.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Re: anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs? [message #37740 is a reply to message #37738] Fri, 09 August 2002 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Check out the posts concerning 3677's by Till E. and spkrman57 just a few posts down from here. You will find some info there. I will also refer you to do a search on JBL with Eminence as Wayne has discussed this matter previously. Regards, Ron
Re: anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs? [message #37750 is a reply to message #37738] Sat, 10 August 2002 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I have 4Pi with 2226's. I'm very happy with that driver for me it's worth the money. I have not listen to the theater or Stage models side by side with a Pro so as far as a comparason I cant help much. they all sound good, yet different. It's my uderstanding that the 2226 wouldnt be the best choice for an 8 watt amp. one of these days I'll try some with mine.

Guglielmo

Re: anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs? [message #37751 is a reply to message #37750] Sat, 10 August 2002 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Been going back and forth between the Theatre's and 3677's so I wouldn't get used to the sound of one like all the reviewers do: "after a month on endless repeat of my Panasonic 8 Track, the $80,000 Cramolons began to sound really smooth with a pulpable presence".
Anyway, this room is so different from the little HT room it took some listening to figure out what was the amp and what was the speakers. There's no question that the 2226 is MUCH more resolving from middle "C" on up to the crossover than the Delta Pro's. I won't know how the 2618 (?) horn sounds until I get the Paramours back on line. The Outlaw really sucks above 3000 Hz.
One thing for sure, even with the Outlaw I got a taste of how incredible the JBL will be on acoustic guitar. And that is important because classical guitar is so close-miked that the hall really doesn't influence the recording as much as any other instrument. Therefore it is a really good test of the home system
John Williams "The Guitarist" sounded freaking wonderful even with the shitty HT receiver!
Re: anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs? [message #37753 is a reply to message #37738] Sat, 10 August 2002 22:44 Go to previous message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i had the same concerns you mention and built the eminence 4 pi premium stage based on cost. the savings were greater than 50%. i love them and could not be happier. the box is compact as well ( less than 5 cf. ) tucked in the corners of my living room the performance is unsurpassed. real deep bass, lush midrange and a crisp top end. bi-amped with a 1959 hk-250 tube running the horns and an 80's mission ss amp for the woofer. i've thought of building a bigger pi but i'm hesitant as to what improvements i can expect. they are that good. subwoofer is not required. room placement is critical. make sure they are against a wall or better yet a corner. they sound a bit thin in freespace, but absolutely lush against a wall.

cheers,

george

Previous Topic: starting on pseudo vots/4 pi's (sorry for the double post)
Next Topic: Link to Bottlehead post on paramour re-build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 22:33:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout