Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » starting on pseudo vots/4 pi's (sorry for the double post)
starting on pseudo vots/4 pi's (sorry for the double post) [message #37737] Fri, 09 August 2002 08:08 Go to next message
EZ_Angus is currently offline  EZ_Angus
Chancellor
I scored a pair of 416-8a's from EBAY and am starting to plan their boxes out whilst I continue to hunt for 802's and 511b's (jammin jersey is just to expensive for me). Wayne was good enough to run the specs for the 416-8b's and since i can't find specs for the a, I am going to go with them. they were:
"PiAlignments for that motor specify a cabinet of 8.5 cubic feet tuned to 30Hz. It further recommends a rectangular port having inside dimensions of 6" x 10.5" and 14" long. The response is nice and flat, with a -3dB point of 40Hz and -10dB at 23Hz. This is a very nice speaker with very full bass"

So I am thinking of the cabs being 18" wide x 18" deep by 45.5" tall. that makes 8.5 CF right :^). I like the look of the horn being wider than the cab, like those "210 split" cabs in sound practices. I figured with a 15" woofer I shouldn't make it much narrower than 18" though. The port I was going to have 14" wide, 6"tall and 10.5" deep. Is that cool? I love deflex pads so will use them for damping. I don't like to heavily damp cabs. If I use 3/4" plywood, do I need bracing? anybody have any comment/suggestions? I am thinking of making them from cherry and maple veneered plywoods (sides cherry, top and at least part of the front maple for a cool contrast).

by the way Wayne if you see this, I bought a Paramour kit also in the last hour of their sale. I think it will take a couple months to arrive.

EZ, aka Kevin

Altec 416 π's! [message #37745 is a reply to message #37737] Fri, 09 August 2002 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That sounds great, but how about making the cabinet's inside dimensions 18.5" wide and 17.5 inches deep, or something like that. These kinds of differences are easy to manipulate even with just panel thickness and different joint styles, and the thing I'd like to see is the width/depth ratio not be exactly 1-to-1. If we just move the wavelength of each of these two distances by a note or so, we will have improved the cabinet. Also, you're using some pretty long panels, so you'd better install braces every foot or foot and a half. They're super easy to install - Just have some 1x2's cut to the width and depth of the cabinets and glue them in. And you'll want them to be a little snug fitting, so that they preload the panels.

Re: Altec 416 π's! [message #37746 is a reply to message #37745] Sat, 10 August 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Thanks wayne: I didn't realize that it mattered which way the dimensions of the port went :^) I am an ok woodworker, a decent kit builder, and am starting to work on scratch building stuff,but I know absolutely nothing about acoustical theory.

do the braces go flush against the back wall or in the middled of the chamber, or should they be placed randomly?

Kevin

Re: Altec 416 π's! [message #37748 is a reply to message #37746] Sat, 10 August 2002 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Place braces between opposing panels, tying them together and preloading them. There is a picture of some installed braces that are done this way on the post called, "Cabinet bracing and other exciting information".
Re: Altec 416 π's! [message #37749 is a reply to message #37748] Sat, 10 August 2002 16:29 Go to previous message
Chancellor

sounds good to me wayne. afaik I am the audiophile community in norman, but there may well be others. I've never gotten to attend one of these alternative type shows/meetings either so I'd be happy to help out in any way I could. great plains audiofest sounds real good. maybe mr. hanushek would print us up some t-shirts.

kevin

Previous Topic: Phase Delay and Group Delay
Next Topic: anybody own 4 Pi Bass Reflex Professional w/ JBLs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:55:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio