Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 16 ohm compression drivers
16 ohm compression drivers [message #37709] Thu, 08 August 2002 12:13 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Why is it that you see a lot of systems with 16 ohm compression drivers and 8 ohm speakers for the rest of the system? does it have to do with attenuation to the compression driver.

Bill

Re: 16 ohm compression drivers [message #37710 is a reply to message #37709] Thu, 08 August 2002 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a suspicion that it is not really that 16 ohm compression drivers are more common in sales overall, and only appears to be from where you're looking. Maybe there have been more availble from the tent sale or something. I know that my designs use 8 ohm drivers, so from my perspective, they're more common. I get a lot more requests for 8 ohm drivers than for 16 ohm drivers. But I don't know what is most common worldwide, or if there is any reason that one market or another might prefer 16 ohm devices over 8.

bean counters rule the universe [message #37712 is a reply to message #37709] Thu, 08 August 2002 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
How about this explanation...16 ohm low pass crossover coils are HUGE, well twice the size of their 8 ohms counterparts anyway. Plus amps deliver power better into 8 ohms than 16.
On the high pass side, crossover caps for 16 ohms drivers are half the size of what an 8 ohm driver would require. So by using an 8 ohm woofer, and 16 ohm tweeter, you invest less $$$ in passive components. Sam

yes, i made it up just now, but it makes sense, and MIGHT even be true:)

Re: bean counters rule the universe [message #37722 is a reply to message #37712] Thu, 08 August 2002 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
just might be true!
Re: 16 ohm compression drivers [message #37726 is a reply to message #37710] Fri, 09 August 2002 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walt is currently offline  Walt
Chancellor
The reason is clear:

When you use a 8 ohm compressiondriver with a sensitivity of 106dB/1w/1m and a woofer with a sensitivity of 103dB/1w/1m then you have to add resistors (attenuation) to make the efficiency of the compressiondriver also 103dB. In this case some power (equal to the power dissipated in the driver which can be up to 200W or more in PA applications) is lost in the resistors. When you use a 16ohm compressiondriver with a sensitivity of 106dB/1w/1m and a 8ohm woofer with a sensitivity of 103dB/1w/1m you don't have to add the resistors. The load on the amplifier decreases and this results in more power for the woofer and a increase in headroom.

Remember that compressiondriver are build for the use in PA applications and not hifi!

Best regards,

Walt (De Jong Soundsystems)

Re: 16 ohm compression drivers [message #37732 is a reply to message #37726] Fri, 09 August 2002 05:43 Go to previous message
Tom Brennan is currently offline  Tom Brennan
Baron
Walt---Compression drivers were developed for use in motion picture theater sound and recording studios, not for public address. Theater sound is most certainly a hi-fidelity endeavor and always has been, the same goes for studio sound. Good compression drivers such as Altec, JBL and TAD can be traced directly back to the efforts of John Hilliard and Jim Lansing to improve theater and studio sound in the 1930s and 1940s.
Previous Topic: Got a Router- what do I do with it??
Next Topic: JBL 2426 Replacement Diaphragms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:42:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout