Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Got a Router- what do I do with it??
Got a Router- what do I do with it?? [message #37690] Wed, 07 August 2002 18:59 Go to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I just started building some Two Pi's, and saw a Makita router on sale at the Home Depot for 40% off, so I picked it up. I've seen some router posts here, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to use it to cut the holes in the baffle. For info, it's a fixed router, 2 1/4 HP, two handles on the sides, and I'm using 3/4in birch plywood. Can you do the holes freehand with these, or should you make some kind of guide?

Gonna round off my corners, too, but I think I can figure that out (with some practice)

Any advice appreciated!

Re: Got a Router- what do I do with it?? [message #37692 is a reply to message #37690] Wed, 07 August 2002 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
congradulations! Free hand is not such a good idea. can be dangerous at best. To lose a finger AND make an egg shaped hole is a pisser!
the easy way is to spend 38 bucks at parts express (amoung others)and get a circle cutting jig. a few other ways would include using a flush cutting bit or template follower (lots of names) and you would need to make a perfect template for each size hole. the bearing will follow this template. be it an inside or outside template. I like outside templates for rounds. Inside templates for shapes. there are also bearing kits which will give you an offset to the template by changing the bearing size. I think after typing all this I recomend buying the jasper circle jig!

corner rounds are easy. for 3/4 ply. try a 3/8" radius bit. It will have a bearing on it and follow the wood edge. Be carful with your travel speed near the end for end grain split out. travel in the direction that the cutter is working against the travel. left to right. moving with the cutter will give you less controll and the cutter will pull you along. Using a fence, depending on the side your fenc is on. travel so the cutter is pulling into the fence. other wise it will keep pushing you off the straight edge. for deep heavy cuts or wood that splinters easy. multiple passes would be a good thing. Till is an old shop pro, he'll give you some other tips when he pops by.

Bill

Re: Got a Router- what do I do with it?? [message #37695 is a reply to message #37690] Thu, 08 August 2002 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Matts, check the link for my circle cutting trammel recipe, then buy a Jasper Jig like Bmar says, I got one and it's great.
Your fixed router is going to require that you drill a hole in the workpiece to acept the cutting bit and because your using a trammel the hole has to be just on the line of the circle.
For rounding over, always run the router over the end grain parts first as they are more likely to tear out or splinter. If they do, the pass over the long grain side will fix that. But not the reverse.
Move the router against the diection of turn which is probably clockwise unless your in Australia and then clean up the cut by reversing direction which is called climb cutting. You may climb cut to begin a pass for very splintery wood but hang on tight!
As I always recommend, go to B&N or Borders, spend a buck on a cup of coffee and read a book on routers by Pat Warner.
Re: Got a Router- what do I do with it?? [message #37718 is a reply to message #37690] Thu, 08 August 2002 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor
Don't forget hearing protection, routers are really loud. They also create piles of sawdust, but nothing else makes such easy work of radiusing corners or cutting perfect holes. I use jigs and follower bearing equipped cutters. If you don't have a table saw you can even do rabbeting and dadoing with your router.
Re: Got a Router- what do I do with it?? [message #37721 is a reply to message #37690] Thu, 08 August 2002 18:27 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Thanks for the tips- 'preciate it! I didn't realize how much there was to the world of routers. I'll slow my project down a little, get the Jasper Jig, and protect what hearing I have left. I thought it would be a little easier, but it definitely looks like it's worth it to learn how to use it.
Previous Topic: quick question
Next Topic: 16 ohm compression drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:34:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout