Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » kilomax 18 making noise
kilomax 18 making noise [message #37508] Thu, 25 July 2002 20:00 Go to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
I am using a kilomax 18" in a 12.5 cuft box tuned to 25hZ.
I hooked it up to an amp driven by a PC program that generate sinewaves via a sound card. At low volume and at around 25 hZ, I
heard some noise coming from the voice coil intermittenly, sounds like the coil is rubbing or something. This is a brand new
part. Could it be a defect? or is the Kilomax 18 known to do this
at this frequency due to the use of the external heat sink for the voice coil?
Re: kilomax 18 making noise [message #37510 is a reply to message #37508] Thu, 25 July 2002 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Kilomax 18 shouldn't make any unnatural noises like that.

First, make sure this isn't an artifact caused by the computer. If the volume of the strange noise changes as you increase power to the speaker, and then lowers when power is reduced, there's a good chance it's a sound card, software or computer system problem. So you might check another speaker and see if the noise is gone. If the noise is still present with another speaker connected, it's a pretty sure bet this is a computer system thing.

If you're sure it's caused by the speaker then you have a defect. A rubbing voice coil will make a strange sound. It often sounds like the voice coil is "bottoming out" even when power levels aren't high. If it's the speaker, send it back where you got it for warranty replacement.

Re: kilomax 18 making noise [message #37512 is a reply to message #37510] Thu, 25 July 2002 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
I dont have another kilomax 18, but I have a 12" subwoofer that has
a 20HZ free air resonnance, I can try that and see. I hope it is
the sound card, because I dont really want to ship it back to
PartsExpress.
Re: kilomax 18 making noise [message #37515 is a reply to message #37512] Thu, 25 July 2002 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
Could it possibly be a connecting wire or something hitting the inside of the cone?
Re: kilomax 18 making noise [message #37516 is a reply to message #37512] Thu, 25 July 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I had a 15" DVC I bought from PE make some weird banging noises also. Turned out that Eminence (who also make that particular driver for PE) add weight inside the dust cover to get the fs down in their subs, and this weigh seems to have a habit of coming loose once in a while since the guy at PE knew exactly what I was talking about when I called about it. Anyway they replacd it with no problem or cost to me. Actually sent out a new one before I sent back the old one! They do have good service so I wouldn't worry if the driver turns out to be pooched.
Kelly
Re: kilomax 18 making noise [message #37523 is a reply to message #37508] Fri, 26 July 2002 10:07 Go to previous message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
most Eminence I've had are basically "noiseless" - but some of their drivers will exhibit a "wheezing" sound like a box leak at higher volumes around Fb (happened in Dayton 295-070, 4" vc 18" and K43 type) think this is due to pleated suspension's center flapping - in that case some damping goo treatment may help- consider a return/exchange - sound card may be ng
Previous Topic: Wayne, my bass horn design...
Next Topic: Anyone need a JBL 4648A-8 or some 2226J woofers, contact me off list
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 16:27:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio