Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » set up is complete!
set up is complete! [message #37477] Wed, 24 July 2002 17:22 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Guys,

Finaly got the set up complete for my tri-amp project. Ended up using an Ashly XR2001 crossover, Mackie M1400i amp going to the 2245 subs with 300 a channel, Mackie M800 amp going to the 2226 mids with 175 a channel and 100 watt tube mono blocks going to the horns. All balance lines for interconnects. This did bring any hum to a point where you have to have your ear right in front of the speaker to hear it. Finally settled on the Mackie amps after many trips and exchanges! Huge torodial transformers in them and virtually silent. The system sounds great. and the wire..... there are wires, and lots of em!

Bill

"Top-One-Percent" club [message #37478 is a reply to message #37477] Wed, 24 July 2002 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Mackie makes great stuff, and I like 'em a lot. The rest of your gear is top-notch too. So I'd say you've definitely moved into the "Top-One-Percent" club!

Re: set up is complete! [message #37479 is a reply to message #37477] Wed, 24 July 2002 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
way to go bill! i know the sound you are now enjoying. i was at a customers house last night and he's running the jbl 4655's with wayne's 9 cf kilomax 18 woofer box. i have never heard so much sound pressure in a home. wow! clean, deep effortless sound. we rocked to the new red hot chili peppers cd. my arms are sore from air guitaring! just like cars nothing beats displacement. why don't you crank your system up, i'm sure i'll hear it across lake ontario.

cheers,

george

Re: set up is complete! [message #37480 is a reply to message #37479] Wed, 24 July 2002 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Thanks for talking me into seperates. I was going crazy for a while!
I had a few Haflers and they sounded real nice but were just too noisy. once in a while ya have to listen at low levels! I had it cranked up tonight for a while, I thought I popped a tweeter but it turned out it was some crytal thingy um, (dust collector) trinkets that seem to multiply at night. they were ratteling around. glad they didnt fall, much happier it wasnt a tweeter :)
we'll just keep this little episode to ourselves...

I dont know Wayne, maybe the top 10% there some regulars around these forums with some pretty fine gear.

if you want to test your bass. dust off "rock me" by Great White and give it a listen.

Bill

then there is cheap and vintage [message #37494 is a reply to message #37478] Thu, 25 July 2002 14:25 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
and I am having a hard time finding something wrong with the $75 amp I am driving the Altec/JBL's with the last couple of hours. A Pioneer SA-8100 40 watt(?) integrated amp from "the cave days" of SS, well maybe 1975 anyway, with dual tone controls, THROW AWAY the comp cap, and "just dial in +2.5dB at 10kHz. and +5dB at 20kHz". While we're committing heresy, I bumped the 50Hz. +2.5dB to boot. Very NICE overall sound...no quibbles at all yet.
Mentioning this because this series of amps, like many, can have the preamp and amp run separate. So you can "pre-EQ" the signal, take it from the pre-out to an active xover, and come back into the amp with either the HF or LF.
No, I haven't lost my mind. This amp was intended, and will end up driving a pair of Pioneer TQWT FR speakers, where the built-in EQ type tone controls will come in handy to extend the upper and lower octaves a bit for casual listening to vinyl. Seems to also be a cheap way to bi-amp "with EQ", for the low budget DIY'r. Sam

damn, mark knoffler sounds awesome from the other room, gotta go reset the album and sit for a while.

Previous Topic: Shameless Product Plug
Next Topic: Reverse Horn ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 00:44:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout