Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Difference between reciever and shelf system =
Difference between reciever and shelf system = [message #37402] Sat, 20 July 2002 13:58 Go to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Power output. Today I hooked up an old Sony shelf system unit to my main speakers that were being powered by a Technics reciever. I played several cds with great dynamic range such as the Telarc sampler. I also played a contemporary acoustic rock group, Days of the New. I have found their cd touch peel and stand sounds great.

I could not notice a difference between the two, the receiver and the shelf system that is, at low listening volumes. Once I turned it up, however, obvious things happened. The noise floor of the shelf system became audible, and I could hear the output compressing when played loud. This is probably due to the fact that the unit probably puts out less than 2w per channel. But other than that, I could tell no difference. I realize this was a subjective test, so later tonight I will have a friend switch between the reciver and shelf system several times blind test, to see if I can truely tell a difference.

What do you all think of this test? Wayne? The two should sound the same shouldnt they? The only reason one needs an expensive amplifier is for high power output, right?

Differences between amplifiers [message #37411 is a reply to message #37402] Sat, 20 July 2002 21:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
By and large, yes. But you'll find guys right here on this forum running amps that produce less than ten watts, and that cost several thousand dollars. So there is an issue of quality too.

But really, an amp is nothing more than a signal multiplier. That's its job - Nothing more and nothing less. You'll find that the places where amps are really set apart from one another these days is in their power levels, clipping resistance, signal to noise ratios and (in the case of class AB amps) their ability to pass through the zero crossing threshold without distortion. Internal power supplies are a big deal here - as much so as the signal amplifier components - so more expensive units will perform better as they approach clipping. All these things translate pretty well in the two figures of signal to noise ratio and of total harmonic distortion, but since they are often measured at moderate power levels where it is only a fraction of a percent, they can really lose their meaning. Certainly, you're not going to measure performance when the amp is nearly clipping, and that's what we're really talking about here.

Still, the bottom line is that two amps should sound pretty much the same at a watt or ten, and if so, then they're doing their job. If you've got an amp that sounds very much different at these levels, it is my opinion you should throw it away because, again, we want the amp to act only as a multiplier and that's all. It should add nothing and take nothing away - Just multiply what's there precisely and faithfully.

Previous Topic: Horn loaded midbass?
Next Topic: Anybody remember the "Cyclops" race car from Road&Track?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 10:42:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio