Home » Audio » General » Loudspeaker Challenge
Re: Geez! I didn't pay attention first time around. [message #3732 is a reply to message #3731] Tue, 12 September 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
But I just spent 20 minutes examining the fotos.

The trammel has a graceful angle cut into it!

Using a trammel to cut an arc is brilliant.

The routed through mortise for the bolts is elegant.

Your a Monster, Garman!

Re: Geez! I didn't pay attention first time around. [message #3734 is a reply to message #3732] Tue, 12 September 2006 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It was alway my intent to build that pair as a prototype, to see how it sounds before committing to the "final" horn. Built it out of baltic birch. That was over a year ago and I'm still using it. Never did get around to the solid cherry version.

The trammel-cut vanes was my second attempt. The first go around with template router bit resulted in some rough cuts. If I was to do it again, I'd build a trammel jig for my table saw to get it done even faster.

I thought the mortise for the bolts was a bit of a cheat. I went for it because I knew I'd screw up sinking four hanger-bolts through the back of the horn.

One thing I do like about my horns is that the top and bottom overhangs the side, instead of the sides overhanging the top and bottom. Gives a cleaner looking top and lots of space for my wife to place nik-naks on top of.

I'm in - Possible Group Build? [message #3735 is a reply to message #3729] Tue, 12 September 2006 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'd love to give this a shot (and Spkrman57 would love to sell me some drivers )

A commercial option [message #3736 is a reply to message #3734] Wed, 13 September 2006 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MDF - cheapest available on the market that I know of.

Re: I'm in - Possible Group Build? [message #3737 is a reply to message #3735] Wed, 13 September 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If the numbers are good for the group build, it might be worthwhile to outsource the vanes to a central location. When building mine, the vanes were the most troublesome and time consuming. If the vanes were pre-made for the group build, it could be very fun weekend project.

Not sure if you guys have the 1" or 2" exit drivers in mind. Most people operate 1" compressions, so that makes more sense. If we're doing a group build for 1" driver, and if vanes were prefab, count me in.

Gar.

Re: A commercial option [message #3738 is a reply to message #3736] Wed, 13 September 2006 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That price is very reasonable, considering used pairs of JBL 2397 goes for $600.

But being able to say "I made this!" - priceless

Re: I'm in - Possible Group Build? [message #3739 is a reply to message #3737] Wed, 13 September 2006 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I can get them cut on a CNC machine if you send me an AutoCAD file.

You rock [message #3740 is a reply to message #3739] Wed, 13 September 2006 21:56 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think you're going to have several people on the list. Thanks!

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - Sunday, Sept 10th
Next Topic: How To Implement The Smithy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:27:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout